April 17, 2024, 06:19:49 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

EZ-3micro Q&A

Started by JonnyMac, February 27, 2011, 03:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyMac

February 27, 2011, 03:29:41 PM Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 06:44:22 AM by JonnyMac
Q: So... what is it?

A: The EZ-3mirco is an uber-cool, 3-stage timer designed for simple props and displays.

Q: Why'd you do it?

A: That's easy! A lot of people spend countless -- often frustrating -- hours assembling their own 3-stage timers from off-the shelf parts and usually don't get the kind of performance they want. We made it easy.

Q: What's so special about a 3-stage timer?

A: Nothing much -- unless it has an EFX-TEK logo on it. Then and there you know it was designed to be user-friendly, has great support (if you ever need it), is quality-built, and fairly priced.

Q: I'm new to controls. How does a 3-stage timer work?

A: Good question! A 3-stage timer works as its name suggests: in three stages. After getting a trigger (start) input, there is a wait stage before the output is active. This is set with the PRE potentiometer. When that stage finishes the output is on for a time set by the RUN potentiometer.  Finally, there is a hold-off period before the device will trigger again; this is set by the OFF potentiometer.

In the EZ-3micro we actually have another output called PULSE (which is copied to AUDIO). This is a very short output which can be used in applications that need a quick "blip" at the beginning of the run period (e.g., for starting an audio player).

This diagram shows the time relationship of the stages.  Each stage on the EZ-3micro is indicated with a color-coded LED next to the associated pot.

Q: What makes this different from any of the plans I can find on the Internet?

A: Again, this is an EFX-TEK product so it's not your run-of-the-mill control product. Instead of using analog timer chips (555) and RC networks to set timing, we use a precision microcontroller to give you repeatable timing. RC networks are subject to timing drift due to temperature changes -- you'll never have that problem with the EZ-3micro.

Q: How do I start it?

A: Your choice: 1) Dry-contact input (e.g., mat switch), 2) 12-24 DC voltage input, 3) Parallax-compatible PIR input, and 4) onboard push-button.

Q: What are the outputs?

A: In fact there are 2.5 -- let me explain. After the trigger delay there are two momentary (pulsed) outputs; one is a high-current output for valves, the second is a 5v or open-collector output for starting an external audio player (this is the 0.5 output).  For the period set by the RUN pot a relay is active; that relay allows you to control anything you'd like, AC or DC.

Q: In my home-made 3-stage timer I had to change capacitors to change the output timing range.  With no RC circuits am I stuck with the timing you've built into the EZ-3micro?

A: No! This is the uber-cool part. Your friends at EFX-TEK do their best to design flexible products and this one is no exception. There is a configuration jumper that will let you set the range of each pot as well as the pulse output duration. These settings are entered into the EZ-3micro through the timing pots when you're in configuration mode. Once you've entered your settings, power down, remove the configuration jumper, and power back up with your new settings! No computer required!

Configuration Options:

A B C D E
PRE     0-10s   0-20s   0-30s   5-15s (random)   10-30s (random)
PULSE     250ms   500ms   1s   2s   5s
RUN     10-20s   10-30s   10-60s   10s-2m   10s-5m
POST   10-20s   10-30s   10-60s   10s-2m   10s-5m

Q: Wait! Did you say I can do random pre-delay timing? In a non-programmable controller?

A: You got it! We did the hard programming on the inside so it's easy and flexible on the outside.

Q: Can I see it?

A: Sure, here's a picture.

Q: How much will it cost?

A: At this time the target MSRP -- which is subject to change -- is $34.95, with discounts ($31.95 for 5x, $26.95 for 10x).  Keep in mind that you will need a 12v power supply as well. Still, the $34.95 price is $29.95 less than the Prop-1/EZ-3 combination -- and it doesn't require a computer. For your simple pop-ups, this is the way to go!

Q: I know you said it's not programmable but... can I program it?

A: Sure, if you're a PIC programmer. We will only provide the schematic for guidance, no source code. If you want to reprogram it you can, but you have to do it on your own.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

gadget-evilusions

Looks like an awesome piece. You guys are awesome.
Brian
Evilusions LLC
www.evilusions.com for all your pneumatic components

JonnyMac

February 27, 2011, 04:09:49 PM #2 Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 06:47:49 AM by JonnyMac
That big fat transistor on the Pulse output is for you and your (noisy!) air cannons.  Hopefully, this will fit in well with some of the cool props you build.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

gadget-evilusions

I am sure I will make good use of it! I promise to never bring air cannons near you again.  :)
Brian
Evilusions LLC

Eric

So how/when can I order 10 ?

JonnyMac

We'll let you know!  ;D
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Eric

I need to purchase a bunch of these now( in the next week)  are there any beta versions available yet ? How can it be taking so long to get these to market ?

JonnyMac

No beta units yet.  While showing the prototypes (pictured above) at Transworld we listen to feedback and made a small design change that has been implemented; new boards are on the way now.  Once they're built up and verified (when we get back from HauntCon) we can roll them into production.

QuoteHow can it be taking so long to get these to market?

We'd love to have them for sale now, but we have to be careful with our resources, especially for a low-cost product like this.  We can't jump into a 500-unit production run without being absolutely sure there won't be problems because we have to pay for them up front.  Making big runs is the only way to keep pricing where our customers want it and still have a viable business.  And the fact is, we have several other projects going at the same time (ours and for clients); every project has to be handled with care because a mistake at the production stage could ruin us.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

livinlowe

Jon-
How are you guys coming along on these?

Sorry if I'm being a pest  :o

Shawn
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

JonnyMac

The first run is in production now; we made a couple small adjustments to improve durability (like adding an self-resetting electronic fuse that is becoming standard in our products).
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

livinlowe

Quote from: JonnyMac on August 15, 2011, 03:41:20 PM
The first run is in production now; we made a couple small adjustments to improve durability (like adding an self-resetting electronic fuse that is becoming standard in our products).

Channeling Mr. Burns - Excellent Thanks for the Update!
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

Buzzkill

Can the run time be dialed back to 1-5 seconds?  The pulse is perfect for the audio.  But I need the run to be in the area of 1-5 seconds.

bsnut

Buzzkill,

Here is the lowest settings (Zone A) for EZ-3micro from the EZ-3micro PDF, which I attached.
PRE Delay ( 0-10s )
RUN Time 10-30s
OFF Time 10-30s
PULSE / Audio ( 0.25s )
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

JonnyMac

No, 10s is the fixed minimum for the relay output.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

gadget-evilusions

For anything that has to run less than 10, I just use the pulse output and set it to .5, 1.0, 2.5, or 5 seconds.
Brian
Evilusions LLC