April 26, 2024, 08:39:36 AM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Fritzing for documenting assemblies

Started by gadget-evilusions, May 31, 2016, 12:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gadget-evilusions

I am having several people help me assemble electronic projects now that we are so busy. I was thinking about using Fritzing to do the documentation of how to assemble my props for my employees. Their program has several parallax parts in it. I was thinking about seeing what they would charge me to create all the EFX-TEK boards so that I could easily drag and drop them into my documentation.

Jon,

Would this be undesirable for EFX-TEK?

Everyone else, anyone want to pitch it to get it done?

I think it would be helpful to me.
Brian
Evilusions LLC
www.evilusions.com for all your pneumatic components

JonnyMac

May 31, 2016, 03:25:52 PM #1 Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 03:28:09 PM by JonnyMac
I have looked at Fritzing and it is an enormous chore to create parts for it. Why? Because it wants everything to connect from schematic through production PCBs, and that's a lot of complicated data.

For pure documentation I would suggest Inkscape. I am presently learning it through a Udemy course.

-- https://www.udemy.com/learn-to-use-inkscape/learn/v4/overview

The course is $30, is conducted by someone who knows what he's doing, and is easy to follow. Things that I would have done in Corel Draw before I am now starting to do in Inkscape.

Attached is an Inkscape document that has a fixed HC-8+ layer (we don't want anyone changing what our product looks like), and then functional layers above and below to aid in documentation. For example, there is a switches layer that allows you to display the position of the power switch (use alignment tools for off, on 1, or on 2) and for the DMX and CONFIG switches. For the DIP type switches use the mirror tool to flip the switch from off to on and vice-versa.

Hopefully, this makes sense to you and for us. And you certainly cannot beat the price of Inkscape!

-- https://inkscape.org/en/
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office