April 20, 2024, 07:57:40 AM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Encoding Audio To Trigger Controller?

Started by EDITMAN2411, June 12, 2017, 09:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDITMAN2411

June 12, 2017, 09:37:17 PM Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 09:53:16 PM by EDITMAN2411
Hello all. Let me fist apologize if this is in the wrong section or if the question seems completely out of place, but I am a total noob.

I am looking for information or products that can help me achieve the functionality found in this product - http://www.frightprops.com/hi-rez-relay-decoder.html More specifically how to ENCODE audio FOR a product like this. Can I achieve this with a prop-1?

If you sell any hardware/software that would allow me to output video with encoded audio that a controller reads to trigger pneumatics I would greatly appreciate your help.

Sadly I am not a very technical guy. I am a video producer and my first inclination is to learn how to encode video that will work with the hi-rez-relay-decoder ...BUT I am completely open to an alternative hardware/software solution. Any advice would be helpful.

Basically I want to create my own video that will interact with pneumatics, for my own haunt. I don't want to buy pre-made videos. I don't mind buying pre-made controller hardware though cuz that is NOT my wheelhouse. :-)

As of right now given my lack of expertise my thought process is leading me to just use a controller to trigger a media player (for video) and a prop controller with audio for the pneumatics ...but I don't even know if a trigger device can activate two controllers at once? (told you I was a noob) ...plus Im worried about sync issues and of course rising costs lol.

Very sorry for the confusing nature of this post. Still trying to get my head around this stuff.

Thank you so much for your time and input!

JonnyMac

We tend to make small, modular devices. What might interest you is the TD-1 -- it's a single-channel tone decoder device that can provide a 12v signal to a pneumatic valve or another device.

http://www.efx-tek.com/topics/td-1.html

We have an advanced controller called the HC-8+ that we normally link to audio, but can be programmed such that it takes a trigger, sends a message to a video player (like the Sprite), and then plays outputs (digital or PWM) that a designed to be in sync.

Now... whether you go with us or with FrightProps or another vendor, there is some tech involved that you'll need to learn. Don't worry, if you can edit videos, you can learn.

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JackMan

EDITMAN2411,
To add to Jon's info, what you are referring to is not actually "encoding". That relay decoder listens for DTMF tones and triggers a specific relay channel from a specific tone. Those tones have to be inserted into one channel of the audio and that channel is fed to the decoder. The channel with the tones must be blocked from the audio that everyone hears or the tones will be heard.