April 25, 2024, 12:43:28 AM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Stranger Things feature request

Started by Jeff Haas, August 21, 2017, 03:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Haas

Hi Jon,

I have a request for an update to your Stranger Things code.  I'm involved in a pretty big public event for this Halloween season, and the idea for one of the rooms is to have an actor attempting to talk to someone in the "Upside Down", and then pressing a concealed button to get the Christmas lights to spell out a message in response.  We're not recreating the moment in the show, but using the same wall of lights for a different scene.

I'd like to have three concealed buttons, where each one triggers a different message.  This will give the actor the opportunity to improvise a bit.

I've gone over your code, and I'm familiar enough with it to understand the following...

- Background cog will scan the ttl_pin method to detect button presses, buttons connected to In0, etc.
- Messages will need to be added in a DAT section, similar to:

DAT
Message1    byte    "HELP ME", 0

However, the part of Spin that's still got me scratching my head is sending the info in the DAT to a buffer to be processed.

Also, in reviewing the clip from the show on YouTube, what you currently have is different - the lights should be all off and then light one at a time to spell the message.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kn2e-bIlmE

Can you take a look at this when you have some time?  This event is big enough that there's a possibility that Netflix will provide some supporting materials.  This is currently unconfirmed, but knowing the organizer I suspect he'll talk someone into it, so I'd like to be ready.

Thanks in advance!

JonnyMac

My HC-8s are occupied with other projects at the moment, so I'll ask you to test this for me. It's pretty easy, really. With the  IN0..IN7 port you can have up to eight messages. If you use IN7 as a shift input, you can have up to 14 messages.

For each input, use a N.O. button between the R & W pins of the INx header.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Jeff Haas

Thank you, that was fast!  The buttons work great.

After looking at it run, I have one more request for the effect:

- String lights up, as current code functions
- When button pressed, entire string flickers for a moment and goes out.
- Then letters light up one at a time.
- When message is done, string fades back up, and waits for the next button press.

Thanks again.

JonnyMac

That one you cannot have fast -- at least not from me. Give me a couple days.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Jeff Haas

Not a problem.  This is August, I don't need it until Mid-October.  Take care of your key customers first, I can wait a week.

Jeff Haas

Jon, have you had a chance to look at this yet?

JonnyMac

A little. I am on the road with one of our commercial clients this week, so my time is very limited. And... as my friends in the Dallas Personal Robotics Group used to say, "It's harder than it looks." I'll get there -- I just need to finish this road trip and get a good night's sleep in my own bed.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Jeff Haas

Ok, thanks for the update.  I'll check back next week.

Jeff Haas

Hi Jon, any progress?  I have a call in the morning with the event planner and will learn more about things.

JonnyMac

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Jeff Haas

Jon, I waited until after dark to test this out.  It looks terrific!  And thanks for making it so easy to re-assign the channels, I have a string of 50 WS2812 bulbs which is set up a bit differently than your example.

Info about the event is here:
https://www.calacademy.org/nightlife/creatures-of-the-nightlife-0

We've submitted more details for the write-up and it's supposed to go up on the website soon.

This is the third year we're doing this event.  The first two they let us do anything we wanted, this year they specifically requested 1980's-related props and effects, due to the Stranger Things tie-in.  Luckily, my wife (a doctor in biotech in real life) has collected a bunch of cast-off scientific equipment which will be used as part of the setting.

Thanks again!  EFX-TEK rocks!

JonnyMac

I'm glad it worked out.  Hopefully, all of the code is easy to understand and you can tweak it exactly as you need for your prop.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office