April 23, 2024, 12:28:12 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

how can I make it work?

Started by bill, November 07, 2017, 08:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill

OK, I have a ride I want to automate sound on. currently I ride and control with a laptop. I use audacity for the background track and window played for the second scene specific sound clips. I run out of the headphone jack on the laptop to a car amp. It works pretty good, BUT, I want to stop riding.
My thought was to use a reflective beam sensor for the input trigger. First input would start background track, second would start 1st sound effect, 3rd, 2nd sound effect and so on. I have about 12 clips to run.

OK, how would I run it with your stuff? :P

JonnyMac

In your scenario, think of yourself as the master controller running two programs: background audio and sound effects audio -- in all, there are three elements.

If it is okay for the background track to drop-out while a sound effect plays, then you can use one controller (we have a few to choose from), and one audio player.  The AP-8+, which we're rolling into production, is "hackable" and could be used for both processes (control and audio).

The trick for the controller will be knowing where you are in the ride -- you're applying the considerable processing power of the human brain which has a lot of input, especially visual. Cutting this down to a reflective sensor would be like you viewing the world of the ride through a soda straw.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

bill

do any of your controllers have a counting feature? That is why how I want to let the controller know where we are in the ride (multiple inputs from the photo cell that would count up and trigger a different sound effect with each input. The other way I was thinking is to get a bunch of single bit players and have an output play them. input signal 1>trigger clip 1, input signal 2> trigger clip 2.
I would have multiple reflectors at the point I want to trigger a sound, that is why I am asking about the counting or multiple input.
I was thinking an audrino or rasberry PI but never used them and I think it would be too much work to get it to work.

JonnyMac

Most of our controllers are programmable, so yes, we can count. We have controllers a little less powerful than the Arduino, and one that is considerably more powerful. The Raspberry Pi is an embedded computer and in another league.

Also, we promote the "hacking" of our products. For example, the AP-8+ audio player (coming soon) could be hacked to do what you want. We're very different that way. For fun, ask the folks at Gilderfluke or BooBox if they'll help you hack one of their products. :)
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

bill

you have me sold...... when does the AP-8 come out, and what will I need along with it......I'm ready now

JonnyMac

November 10, 2017, 11:24:47 AM #5 Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 11:26:21 AM by JonnyMac
It's close, but we have a bit of work to do on final code and documentation. We have a team meeting at the home base (I'm in Hollywood, CA) after Thanksgiving and will be reviewing all products, especially the new ones. The AP-8+ is at the top of the release list, so it will be soon.

Now... fair warning... we will happily help you hack the AP-8+ into a custom player into your project, in fact, we're going to be releasing a code base for those who want to go that direction. That said, it will require you to download and install development tools, and get a programming adapter. Don't worry, you won't be the first down this path. I just got off the phone with an OEM customer who is hacking the HC-8+ (our first happily hackable product), and we got him sorted out.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office