March 29, 2024, 07:40:22 AM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Do I have enough outputs?

Started by davisgraveyard, March 03, 2007, 12:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisgraveyard

I am working on a new effect this year.  I want to turn on 8 separate UV LED's one at a time but also want to play the same  small sound each time one of the LED's comes on.  Can I do this with a Prop-1 and a AP-8?

Jeff

randyaz

March 03, 2007, 01:25:12 PM #1 Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 01:26:45 PM by randyaz
You would need 9 pins to do what you described. The Prop1 only has 8 pins. Can any 2 of the LED's be on at the same time? If not, you should look into a Prop2. It has 16 pins.

davisgraveyard

I know I could do it with a Prop-2.  I guess what I was wondering was if it was possible to turn on the LED and play the sound off of the same pin?  I was also wondering if maybe there was some sort of add-on board that might help?  This such a simple project I didnt' want to waste the Prop-2 abilities.  Just turning on 8 LED's in sequence and then pausing and then repeat. 

JonnyMac

You know, you may be in luck... the ULN outputs are open collector and that's the kind of quick start input you can use with the AP-8 or Cowlacious board.  If you're running the LEDs off the TTL pins (3-pin headers) then you could tie the OUTx terminals together and connect to the audio player.  Any active pin would initiate an output on the audio player.  Keep in mind that using this scheme you can only have one audio file in your AP-8.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

randyaz

I forgot all about this guy...and I even have one.  Use one Prop1 pin get 16 more...

http://www.efx-tek.com/topics/dc-16.html