May 20, 2024, 08:14:32 AM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

DC power supply

Started by Grumpy, September 17, 2009, 12:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grumpy

I build 1/6th rc tanks. For a long time I've wanted the figures (G.I.Joe size) to move. Although I have no electronics experiance I beleive I can figure out a Prop-1 to run rc servos for movement. My question is can I run the Prop-1 off of the tanks 12v 9amp or 24v 18amp (depends on the tank) batteries? What is the max. amperage to run the Prop-1?
Great forum for begginers.
Thank you for any help.

JonnyMac

September 17, 2009, 12:29:56 PM #1 Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 12:31:43 PM by JonnyMac
When you learn about electronics you'll find that a device doesn't care how much current a source can provide so long as it meets the minimum required.  You could have a 12v, gajillion-amp supply and it wouldn't hurt the Prop-1 --unless you shorted something where that supply would vaporize the board, you, probably the entire planet.   ;D

The Prop-1 consumes less than 25mA when powered up.  What you have to do, then, is add up the loads you'll be driving.  Since the maximum current the ULN can support is 1200mA you're looking at a worst-case load on the Prop-1 of 1.225 amps; either supply will be fine.  I would, however recommend the 12v version because that will but less strain on the 5v regulator; excess voltage must be dissipated as heat.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office