May 20, 2024, 10:39:55 AM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

12 vdc wiper motor and Prop-1 controller

Started by CraigN, September 26, 2009, 11:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigN

If I wanted to add a 12 vdc wiper motor to the prop-1 would I connect the dc power wires to the terminal block output on the prop-1 or would I have to use a relay?

I am assuming that the outputs are N/O contacts and that when the prop-1 sends the command to the terminal block it completes the circuit(?) so in theory I would complete the circuit on the DC side of the power supply and start the motor turning?

Trying not to let the magic smoke out of the prop-1 on my first time out.

Thanks!

JonnyMac

You MUST use a relay else the ULN2803 will go up in a big puff of smoke!  Please don't test this -- we do enough destructive testing during product development for everyone!  ;D

Jeff Davis made a great find at All Electronics:
-- http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/RLY-525/DUAL-12-VDC-RELAYS-DOOR-LOCK-RELAY-/1.html

(I'm going to pop by there today and pick up a few)

With this relay module and two outputs you can have forward and reverse control of the motor.  Here's a schematic I drew based on the diagram on the relay:

This schematic assumes an external supply (you need a couple amps for the motor).  Be sure to connect the GND terminal of the Prop-1 to the ground side of the external supply.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

CraigN

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

(Sorry about changing topics in the previous post.  Won't happen again.)

TDD

Ok I'm really just getting my feet wet and I have the same problem, but as I look at the schematic I have know idea what connection go to what connection. I picked up the VBA-2016 and using a prop one controller. Can someone clear me up on what write setup is. Thank you in advance

JonnyMac

The tabs are marked on the relay -- here's more detail on the connections:

A: This goes to the green terminal block on the Prop-1 marked OUT1
B: This goes to one side of the motor being controlled
C: This goes to the green terminal block on the Prop-1 marked GND and the the external supply ground (black wire)
D: This goes to the external supply positive (red wire)
E: This goes to the other side of the motor being controlled
F: This goes to the green terminal block on the Prop-1 marked OUT0

Now... if this doesn't help then I suggest you enlist a friend with a little more experience; we'd hate to have you make a bad connection and damage anything.  This stuff is pretty easy once you learn a few basics.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

MMayberry

I have had good luck using the Parallax HB-25 DC motor controller in synch with the Prop-1.  You can find alot of information regarding connectivity and programming in these forums.  One suggestion, connect a minimum 1 amp power supply directly to the HB-25; don't tap through the Prop-1 as the wiper motor can draw significant amperage under load.
You TOT's Nip it in the BUD!