May 20, 2024, 07:17:04 AM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

what am i doing wrong

Started by bill, October 21, 2015, 05:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill

I think i blew a board last week, its running on a generator. anyway, i got a new prop-1 and now i can't program it. i lost my original cable that i bought here, so i h.ave tried 3 others. i get a message no port available. any help will be appreciated

thank you

BigRez

October 21, 2015, 06:03:34 PM #1 Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 06:05:22 PM by BigRez
Bill,

What kind of cable are you using?
How is it connected to the prop-1?
What are you powering the prop-1 with?
And which switch position do you have the prop-1 in when trying to program it?

I assume you were able to program the other board? 

Are you sure the port it is connected to is still good?

Mike

JonnyMac

You'll need a BS1 Serial Adapter (with USB adapter if you don't have a 9-pin serial port) or, better, a Prop-1 USB Adapter. These are specialty devices that you can only get from us or Parallax (BS1-SA).

-- http://www.efx-tek.com/topics/prop-1_usb.html
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

bill

this is how i got it hooked up, got the adapter when I hit run it says no usable serial port available

JonnyMac

Sounds like a computer problem. Do you know how to check your system to see what serial ports are available?
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

bill

No, but I will try to figure it out. I didn't think it would be an issue since it is the same computor I used 2 years ago when I originally loaded it. Thanks for the help

BigRez

A lot can happen to a computer, port, and cable in two years. If you're using a serial port, check for bent pins on the cable or port. Check for online resources to diagnose USB port issues if you're using USB.

bill

I am using usb, I will look at it tonight, hopefully I can get it figured out, tHANKS

JackMan

Not sure if this helps at all but I have a PC that I use a lot for various things including a USB connected Hot Spot for internet.
The Hot Spot is connected to a rear USB port and I use the front USB port for other devices. There are times when the PC won't recognize when something is inserted into the front port if I have recently been using the Hot Spot. When that happens I have to re-boot the PC and use the front port before turning on the Hot Spot. Bottom line, PC's are great but they can be finicky.

bill

Success, finally!! After not getting my computer to work, I got another one, just an older laptop with limited programs on it. I downloaded stamp basics, followed the directions and it worked like a charm. Now I am going to save that one for this use only.

Thank you everyone for helping.

JonnyMac

And just in time for Halloween! Have fun!
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office