May 20, 2024, 10:00:13 AM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Normally Closed

Started by jesmitty23, May 18, 2016, 02:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesmitty23

I spoke to you guys at Transworld about finally diving into the programming of props. I was able to program a couple basic props to start with but I'm hitting an issue that I can't seem to find a solution to on here, and I'm sure its probably a very easy fix. I have a Prop-1 as well as an EZ-3. I want to wire in a chandelier as a normally closed circuit and then once the PIR or step pad is triggered for the chandelier to turn off for a few seconds then flicker on and off a couple times. I can't seem to figure out how to wire the Prop-1 for a NC. I have done it with the Ez-3 but that only allows it to run one time without the other flickers following. Thanks!

JonnyMac

Normally closed describes the state of a switch or relay contacts. Are you using the NC contacts of the EZ-3micro to trigger your Prop-1?
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JackMan

The OUT terminals on the Prop-1 are active LOW so you'll need to use a relay to do what you have described. Wire your chandelier through the NC contacts of the relay, connect the coil of the relay to V+ and whatever OUT terminal you have programmed. When the OUT is active, it will energize the relay and turn off the chandelier.

jesmitty23

May 23, 2016, 12:39:23 PM #3 Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 12:47:41 PM by jesmitty23
Great thanks JackMan. JohnnyMac I wasn't sure if the prop-1 had a NC contact and now I see from reading it does not. I had done it with the EZ-3 I just didn't like that I couldn't manipulate the program the way that I wanted to. But now I'll try it through a relay and see if this is better. Looks like the RC-2 would be my best bet is this correct?

bsnut

QuoteLooks like the RC-2 would be my best bet is this correct?
Yes, the RC-2 has 2 relays with NC and NO contacts and each relay is controlled by its own servo cable to the 3 pin header.
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

JackMan

There is a way to do this using an OUT terminal but I assumed your chandelier was either AC or requires more current than the Prop-1 can handle. In either case, you'll need a relay. Let's just say for example purposes that your chandelier consisted of a few LED's. You could write the program to execute a HIGH OUTx upon start up and when triggered, it goes LOW to turn off the light, then HIGH, LOW etc. for the flicker. Then back to HIGH to wait for the next trigger.

JonnyMac

If you really need an NC relay contact output, the RC-2 is the way to go; in fact, it's what we designed it for.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office