May 20, 2024, 03:21:24 PM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Salvage code from a Prop1?

Started by brittio, September 28, 2016, 10:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brittio

Is it possible to pull the code off of a Prop1?  I've created several props over the years and one of my more recent creations isn't working.  So i was going to plug in and reload the program...  Problem is every program i've created since 2009 has vanished..  There is a lot of trial & error and overall knowledge stored on these individual props now...  Please tell me there's hope!

JonnyMac

Sorry, no. The text we type into the editor is compiled into a highly compressed form that is downloaded to the device. Despite efforts by a few, there is no de-compiler for the EEPROM image. Even if there was, you'd need a special tool to copy the contents of the EEPROM to your computer.

We're here to help. Specify the connections and behavior of your prop and I'm sure that more than one of us will kick in with ideas. Once you get things working I suggest a back-up thumb-drive. I am forever finding thumb-drives in drawers with old code on them.

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

brittio

The specific props are interactive in a laser tag game.  so when they get shot they are triggered...  The one i was going to reload activates a fog machine, solenoid for a barrel to jump, & and a blue LED...  My most frustrating issue it the trigger took me quite a while to work out the bugs and accidental triggering.. 

JonnyMac

So you're receiving the input from the laser tag device? Do you have a link to the protocol? Maybe I can help out. It's likely IR and I have a lot of experience with that, though it is very tough to do with the Prop-1 (speed and memory constraints)
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JackMan

Just a side note, if the Prop-1 was working with the program before, chances are that you have some other issue. It's highly unlikely that the program quit working. As Jon metioned, I always back up my programs with a flash drive.

brittio

Crisis Averted!  Obviously I was smart at some point and copied everything to a different computer.  And you were right it was the sensor that was bad not the program.  Thanks for helping me with my FREAK OUT...

JonnyMac

That's great news. I'm still interested in the senor you're using and the protocol it employs.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office