May 15, 2024, 04:10:45 AM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

How many Prop1 controllers can you control with vixen?

Started by clr2cont, October 27, 2007, 12:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clr2cont

Can I connect more than 1 prop1 controller to Vixen? If so how?
I haven't looked into it yet on my own. I just got my 2 prop1's today.

Thanks

Joe ;D

JonnyMac

Just one with the current driver.  Part of the reason for that is the bandwidth required by the communications limits the refresh timing.  If you were using Prop-1s as purely digital outputs (no servo control), then you could have more, but it becomes a bit of a programming exercise that may not be worth the effort.  How many controllers are you thinking?
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

clr2cont

I understand, for the same reason you are ,imited to 3 servos. I was planning on using only 2 prop1s.

JonnyMac

If you want servos in addition to digital outs then the Prop-2 and Vixen driver will handle it. 
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

wilsondk

Could you run more that one from separate serial ports?

JonnyMac

November 15, 2007, 10:48:08 AM #5 Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 10:55:10 AM by JonnyMac
You know, I'm sure... the current Vixen driver expects just seven channels and I don't know that the values can be offset from channel 1; let me check with KC to find out.  What are you wanting to do with the outputs?  Just digital, or a mix of servos and digital (like the current driver).
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

wilsondk

I am going to build 2 servo controlled spot lights.  I need 3 axis servo plus 4 to 5 digital outs.  The problem is the 2 units will be 10 to 20 feet apart. So I was planning to place a prop-2 in each unit and control them via 2 separate serial ports if possible.

JonnyMac

The difficulty with the Prop-1 is the bandwidth due to 2400 baud -- you should probably try to run two independent yet simultaneous sequences (I think you can do that though I've not tried myself).
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JonnyMac

Well, I just called KC and in Vixen 1.11 you can't run two simultaneous sequences (that's coming in v2.0).  Your best bet would be to use the Prop-2 and its Vixen driver, or program the BS1 boards run you sequence via standard code (tricky, but can be done if the sequence is not too long).
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office