May 11, 2024, 10:22:57 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

prop-1 and vMusic2 - unrecognized thumb drive?

Started by BigRez, December 23, 2008, 11:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigRez

Hey all,

Tried to get my vMusic2 working today with a prop-1 using Scary Terry's instructions, and finally did, but only after a little issue with the thumb drive. 

I was using a 2gb Lexar drive and nothing was working.  Double-checked everything and it's all good but still nothing. I then tried a 2gb PNY drive and still nothing.  OK, so I thought maybe Scary Terry's instructions are no longer good so I tried the slightly different set up over at the Garage of Evil.  (Set up is pretty much the same, just different connection to the prop-1.) Still no go!

Don't know what made me try it, but I moved the firmware onto a 128mb Sony drive and when performing the firmware update, could see that it was working differently.  Then loaded the sound files and voila!  It worked.  Went back to the Scary Terry configuration and that too worked with the 128mb drive.

So, the question is, why won't it work with either of these two 2gb drives and is there anything that can be done to make it work?  (I don't need that much space... yet, but may in the future.)

Thanks!

JonnyMac

Have you tried reformatting the drives?  I think some new drives are "smart" and try to install drivers onto their host -- this action could be interfering with the VMUSIC. 
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

crpalmer

I had problems with my Vmusic2 player using Kingston Data Traveller drives which was solved by installing the latest firmware (drive needed newer firmware than what Scary Terry had on his website).

The Vmusic's site lets you download the firmware and configure it (you'll want to set the baud appropriately, etc.).

If you have trouble getting that setup, I can probably dig up the file that I used to get my drives working.

BigRez

Tried the reformat already but that didn't work. The newer firmware (and reconfigure) was the way to go.  Thanks CPalmer!

Tried with 1gb, 2gb, and 4gb and they all work just fine.

Vinculum Download site: http://www.vinculum.com/downloads.html
Specific file is the VSMC file.  Also need to get the Firmware Customizer (near bottom of the page.)