May 03, 2024, 06:41:13 PM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Product Preview: EZ-8 Touch Controller

Started by JonnyMac, March 07, 2009, 06:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Pettis

Jon, is it possible to use the Parallax servo controller with the Ez8.  If not could you guide me as to what  to do as stated in your previous post.

Thanks,
         Jarrett

JonnyMac

July 25, 2009, 01:05:29 PM #16 Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 01:08:22 PM by JonnyMac
Only if you reprogram the EZ-8 and treat it like a Prop-SX -- which is possible because we include a programming header.   But if you do that, it's no longer an EZ-8.  And in case you're wondering you cannot program the EZ-8 to do other things with Vixen; the EZ-8 is what we were asked for: a digital "bit-banger" that was easy-to-use and very cost effective.

So... what I meant in a previous post is that if one reprograms the EZ-8 it can become a servo controller.  I'm working on a program that will allow the Prop-SX to be a VSA/Vixen-compatible servo/pwm driver.  If you look in our VSA library you'll see I've already written similar code for the Prop-SX; this code is easily adapted to the EZ-8.

To convert the EZ-8 from the EZ-8 means you'll need an SX-Key or SX-Blitz and new software; again, I'm working on the latter.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

davisgraveyard

Quote from: JonnyMac on April 17, 2009, 01:30:54 PM
Not with the digital ("bit-banger") program it comes with -- unless your skull is run by pneumatics.  If it's a servo-based skull then the EZ-8 will have to be loaded with a new program (possible as the core processor is the SX28 -- same as on the Prop-SX) that can download (from Vixen) and run servo outputs. 

That would be cool!  <smirk>

TheHugineter

Can you connect servos directly to the controller?
Hello World XD!

JonnyMac

The EZ-8 has servo connectors but these are for driving the RC-4 controller board of 120VAC outputs.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

TheHugineter

Quote from: JonnyMac on August 12, 2009, 06:23:59 AM
The EZ-8 has servo connectors but these are for driving the RC-4 controller board of 120VAC outputs.
Not for a talking skull kit?
http://store.nutsvolts.com/product.php?productid=16759&cat=388&page=1
Hello World XD!

JonnyMac

The EZ-8 is a digital record/playback device -- it does not do servo pulses.  Those three-pin headers are used for more things than just servos.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

TheHugineter

Quote from: JonnyMac on August 13, 2009, 03:16:38 PM
The EZ-8 is a digital record/playback device -- it does not do servo pulses.  Those three-pin headers are used for more things than just servos.
Ok. Thank you!  :)
Hello World XD!