May 09, 2024, 04:47:19 AM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

HC-8 stand alone or add on or both (Gen Info)

Started by jukingeo, August 20, 2012, 03:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jukingeo

Hello All,

I have been a bit behind the times in regards to the EFX-TEK forums, but with Halloween approaching once again, I figured I would drop by and see what is new.

It looks like HC-8 is!

At first glance seeing the high powered outputs and the Propeller Chip I thought that THIS is the Prop-Prop I have been waiting for!   But doing some more reading, there was mention that the HC-8 replaces the DC-16...which was an add on to Prop controllers.   The HC-8 has a set program, which can be hacked.  So all in all, can the HC-8 be used stand alone or must you hook a Prop controller up to it?

I tried to look at the demo program, but I didn't get smart out of it.   So from what I can gather, this is THE awaited unit that could run multiple programs?  I was reading that multiple fades and cross-fades were possible.  Also this is the piece to have for skull servo movements.

Naturally this is having me foaming at the mouth like a mad dog.  I certainly would like to know what I could all do with this thing.

I see there is another forum on "Hacking" so I am on my way over there now.

Geo

JackMan

The HC-8+ can be used as a stand alone controller, in fact this is where it really shines in my opinion. You'll need a Prop Plug to program it and the MicroSD adapter is a great addition for it also. Jon can fill you in on any technical questions you have but take my word for it, this thing ROCKS!

JonnyMac

August 21, 2012, 12:47:30 AM #2 Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:52:26 AM by JonnyMac
We have long had a policy of making "hackable" products.  The EZ-8, for example, is a stand-alone bit-banger but I have written several custom applications for it for our customers.  So, yes, the HC-8+ was initially slated as a replacement for the DC-16 and when we started down that path there were several repeated requests:

-- higher current outputs
-- DMX capability (which we took further with full-duplex RS-485)
-- inputs that can be read by the host

The HC-8+ did grow a little bigger than we originally expected, but we take user feedback and apply it.  And, until the Prop-Pro (not Prop-Prop) is released this gives us a platform on which we can write advanced, multi-processor applicaitons.

One of my dreams came true this morning when Jack told us that his project is working.  With the power of the HC-8+, recent updates to Vixen, a little coding on my part, and a lot of patience on Jack's part, he can now run a fully-animatronic show with multiple servos and audio output (AP-16+) without being tethered to a computer.  I've been wanting to do this since we first created the HC-8+, and now we have.

Even if you just want local control, you can play files from the microSD adapter and now instead of limited on and off, you can have, on, off, and any analog value in between.  Prefer to toss in a few servos?  No problem, I have the code to do that, too.  The great news is that you can craft these sequences in Vixen, play them live through the serial port (via the Prop-Plug) to test, and when you're done you can save them to a file for playback right from the microSD.

We probably won't have the Prop-Pro until next Transworld; in the mean time, the HC-8+ is ready to rock, and rockin' hard!

In the last six years I've written about 100,000 lines of Propeller code.  Most of that is highly modular, and I can share it with you.

BTW, you don't have to get the uSD adapter if you're not going to be playing files exported Vixen files. As you can see in the "Hacking the HC-8+" forum, I've written lots of code having nothing to do with the uSD.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

jukingeo

Hello Jon,

How are you doing?  Project wise things have been a bit slow on my end.  Twin 5 year old boys have been keeping me busy, personal projects have been taking a back seat.

Quote from: JonnyMac on August 21, 2012, 12:47:30 AM
We have long had a policy of making "hackable" products.  The EZ-8, for example, is a stand-alone bit-banger but I have written several custom applications for it for our customers.  So, yes, the HC-8+ was initially slated as a replacement for the DC-16 and when we started down that path there were several repeated requests:

-- higher current outputs
-- DMX capability (which we took further with full-duplex RS-485)
-- inputs that can be read by the host

Since I was happy with the Prop-1 & 2 controllers, I did kind of skip over the easier to use EZ-8 and EZ-3.   Surprisingly though, I seem to use the Prop-1 more than the Prop-2 for most tasks.  Last year I became interested in the AP-16+ of which I still intend to purchase (hopefully for this year's Halloween project).

When I revisited your site a few days ago, I learned about the HC-8+ and three things immediately caught my attention:
1) Prop chip
2) High current outputs
3) DMX

Now, how to make use of the HC-8 I am a bit foggy on, as it is I still am making my way through BASIC programming for the Prop-1 & Prop-2.  Now the Propeller has Spin, of which I would be starting at from square "1" and putting the training wheels back on (so to speak).  I would definitely need some hand holding here.

One of my dreams came true this morning when Jack told us that his project is working.  With the power of the HC-8+, recent updates to Vixen, a little coding on my part, and a lot of patience on Jack's part, he can now run a fully-animatronic show with multiple servos and audio output (AP-16+) without being tethered to a computer.  I've been wanting to do this since we first created the HC-8+, and now we have.

Same here (dream wise).  I always wanted to do a small haunt with using just one or two controllers.  My dilemma was that I can't afford to purchase a prop controller for each and every single attraction in my haunt.  So squeezing two props out of a controller was of interest to me.   I am sure you might recall the many complicated semi-multitasking programs I was asking of the Prop-2?  You did prove you can do it, albeit on a limited scale.   The Prop-1...sad to say, fell short.     But now, with a controller that uses the Propeller which has 8 processors on board.   Well, that certainly blows the doors off of using more than two props at a time.

I am very much interested in seeing the show you and Jack have put together just to get an idea of what can be done with the HC-8+

Even if you just want local control, you can play files from the microSD adapter and now instead of limited on and off, you can have, on, off, and any analog value in between.  Prefer to toss in a few servos?  No problem, I have the code to do that, too.

Yes, I was always interested in cross-fading chases and now with the advent of RBG LEDs, that can take my chases to a new level. 

I am now even incorporating video into my haunts (with the use of Hallowindows last year).   I certainly would like to sync some effects to video as well...so this is why I raised an eyebrow when I came across the mention of DMX.

The great news is that you can craft these sequences in Vixen, play them live through the serial port (via the Prop-Plug) to test, and when you're done you can save them to a file for playback right from the microSD.

Even more great news is that I am an avid user of Vixen for my Christmas projects.  I mostly use the Renard based controllers for that.   I have NOT used it yet with the Prop controllers though.  Not that I don't want to, I just haven't tried it.

We probably won't have the Prop-Pro until next Transworld; in the mean time, the HC-8+ is ready to rock, and rockin' hard!

It does sound great thus-far, but I do want to learn more about what this controller can do, especially if I am to learn a new programming language.

In the last six years I've written about 100,000 lines of Propeller code.  Most of that is highly modular, and I can share it with you.

Sure thing, just take it easy on me.  I would be starting from square 1.

Thank You,

Geo

jukingeo

Quote from: JackMan on August 20, 2012, 06:05:58 PM
The HC-8+ can be used as a stand alone controller, in fact this is where it really shines in my opinion. You'll need a Prop Plug to program it and the MicroSD adapter is a great addition for it also. Jon can fill you in on any technical questions you have but take my word for it, this thing ROCKS!

Hello JackMan,

I guess you are the fellow Jon was mentioning in his reply.  I am curious to see any videos of your project or basically anything that the HC-8+ can do.  How many props do you have running off of it?

The whole point is that if I enjoy programming this controller I might want to use it as a more endowed substitute for the Prop-2.  Having on board high powered outputs is a tremendous plus in itself as that was something I always had to add on to the Prop1 and 2 controllers.

Was it hard to learn Spin?

Thank You,

Geo

JonnyMac

August 21, 2012, 09:57:52 PM #5 Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:58:04 AM by JonnyMac
QuoteNow, how to make use of the HC-8 I am a bit foggy on, as it is I still am making my way through BASIC programming for the Prop-1 & Prop-2.  Now the Propeller has Spin, of which I would be starting at from square "1" and putting the training wheels back on (so to speak). 

So what? We start dying when we stop exploring and learning. Jump in and learn Spin -- it's fun, especially when you learn how to control multiple simultaneous processes that can cooperate with each other (or not, your call). Will it cost you some time? Yes. Is it worth it? Only you can decide. I love writing programs for the HC-8+ which is why I created the "Hacking" section.

QuoteThe Prop-1...sad to say, fell short.

I swear... we could pack a $100 bill with each Prop-1 and people would still make these kinds of complaints. We made it inexpensive so that people could afford to devote one per prop; the limited memory and speed suggest that trying to do more is just, well... unfair.  It's kind of like saying, "Sadly, my Volkswagon Bug didn't perform well in the Indy 500...."  (Clearly, criticisms of the least-expensive, most actively manufacturer-supported controller in the industry is a real irritation for me. We've never over-sold its capabilities).

QuoteWell, that certainly blows the doors off of using more than two props at a time.

Sure, but you're going to have to bear down and understand the Propeller in order to take advantage of this capability.  Please don't think anyone is going to pull off this sort or programming a week before Halloween.  It's not terribly difficult, but it does require a bit of planning.  The pay-off is huge, though, and a lot of fun.

QuoteI mostly use the Renard based controllers for that.

Good news: at the last minute I changed the RS-485 circuitry design so that the board can TX and RX at the same time.  The reason for this was to allow Renard support.  Should be pretty easy to code (I played a bit once for a N&V column, but that code should be reviewed). The cool thing is that once you've captured the channel data from the Renard stream you can do anything.  There are servo headers on the HC-8+ which means you could drop it into your light show to add movement.  The mouse-house used an HC-8+ in the mansion last season that took in DMX to control four LED dimmer channels and four servo channels.  Was pretty neat.

QuoteWas it hard to learn Spin?

It's only as hard as anyone makes it.  It's much more involved that PBASIC for sure, but much more freeing at the same time. Things you wanted to do with the Prop-1 or Prop-2 but couldn't due to code and horsepower restrictions are rarely issues.

QuoteI would be starting from square 1.

Again... so what? It's like day 1 of a new adventure and should be exciting.

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

jukingeo

August 22, 2012, 06:27:20 PM #6 Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:31:27 PM by jukingeo
Quote from: JonnyMac on August 21, 2012, 09:57:52 PM

So what? We start dying when we stop exploring and learning. Jump in and learn Spin -- it's fun, especially when you learn how to control multiple simultaneous processes that can cooperate with each other (or not, your call). Will it cost you some time? Yes. Is it worth it? Only you can decide. I love writing programs for the HC-8+ which is why I created the "Hacking" section.

The 'simultaneous processes' definitely piques my interest.  I did look at the Hacking section last night, but much of it left me in a fog.

I swear... we could pack a $100 bill with each Prop-1 and people would still make these kinds of complaints. We made it inexpensive so that people could afford to devote one per prop; the limited memory and speed suggest that trying to do more is just, well... unfair.  It's kind of like saying, "Sadly, my Volkswagon Bug didn't perform well in the Indy 500...."  (Clearly, criticisms of the least-expensive, most actively manufacturer-supported controller in the industry is a real irritation for me. We've never over-sold its capabilities).

I never said I was complaining nor being critical of the Prop-1.  Quite the contrary, I think it is an excellent controller and I do even use it more than the Prop2.   I also love the Prop2 as well, but I mostly use it for more 'difficult' tasks.  With the two controllers I ended up doing FAR more than than anticipated (thanks to the help here). 

Trying two props as the same time was a 'test' and that is all it ever was.  The same was the case with the Prop-2...(but there we were successful running two props at one time).  It is just that insatiable curiosity that says "Ok, let's see what this thing can really do".

I guess I am just like any home haunter who is a bit short on cash due to the wonderful US economy.  Thus, I just wanted to know what the Prop controllers can really do.  Unlike when I first started with EFX-TEK products back in 2006, I now have two extra mouths to feed.  So that does put a dent in one's free income.  One day when I can charge admission for my haunts, then it wouldn't be a problem to put a controller on each prop.  Anyway, I digress.

Sure, but you're going to have to bear down and understand the Propeller in order to take advantage of this capability.  Please don't think anyone is going to pull off this sort or programming a week before Halloween.  It's not terribly difficult, but it does require a bit of planning.  The pay-off is huge, though, and a lot of fun.

Understood.  I wasn't expecting to do something with the HC-8 for this Halloween, especially knowing I would have to learn a new programming language.  BUT I could get the jump start for next year.  All I was asking was a good push in the right direction to get started.

When I first started with Basic Programming, it was mainly due to the great book that you wrote on the BS-2.  Then from there I worked backwards to the Prop-1.  The HC-8 is all new territory and I was just looking for a starting point.

Good news: at the last minute I changed the RS-485 circuitry design so that the board can TX and RX at the same time.  The reason for this was to allow Renard support.  Should be pretty easy to code (I played a bit once for a N&V column, but that code should be reviewed). The cool thing is that once you've captured the channel data from the Renard stream you can do anything.  There are servo headers on the HC-8+ which means you could drop it into your light show to add movement.  The mouse-house used an HC-8+ in the mansion last season that took in DMX to control four LED dimmer channels and four servo channels.  Was pretty neat.

Sooo, then this means that the HC-8 could drive Renard lighting controllers (without a computer)?  THAT would be uber impressive.

QuoteIt's much more involved that PBASIC for sure, but much more freeing at the same time. Things you wanted to do with the Prop-1 or Prop-2 but couldn't due to code and horsepower restrictions are rarely issues.

Oh, man...this is sounding good already.

Do you have any suggestive reading for a Propeller noob? 

Thank You,
Geo

JonnyMac

August 23, 2012, 01:00:58 AM #7 Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 01:02:50 AM by JonnyMac
QuoteAll I was asking was a good push in the right direction to get started.

I'm working on a book called, "JonnyMac's Propeller Attack!"  It's cheeky and somewhat in your face. When I spoke with a publisher about it my pitch on the tone of the book was, "If Ricky Gervais could write a book on Propeller programming, that's what this would be."  We've all had enough straight-laced programming books; mine will be something different.  Hoping to have it done by the end of the year.

QuoteSooo, then this means that the HC-8 could drive Renard lighting controllers (without a computer)?  THAT would be uber impressive.

As Barrowman likes to say, "It's just SMOP" (a small matter of programming).  With the ability to export Vixen data to a file we can do anything with it -- converting the raw data to Renard would be pretty easy.

QuoteDo you have any suggestive reading for a Propeller noob?

While it does teach some horrible habits (that my book and looking at my code will break you of), the Propeller Education Kit docs (which get installed with the Propeller Tool and can be accessed via the Help menu) is a good place to start.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

bsnut

QuoteDo you have any suggestive reading for a Propeller noob?

Yes, I have another while we are waiting for Jon's book to be finished. Its a book called "Programming and Customizing the Multicore Propeller Microcontroller" authored by the friendly folks at Parallax and one of them is Chip Gracey. This book can get you started in the cool world of programming in spin. It also helped me get started in the wonderful world of Propeller programming and made it easier for me to hack (reprogram) the HC-8.     
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

jukingeo

Quote from: JonnyMac on August 23, 2012, 01:00:58 AM
I'm working on a book called, "JonnyMac's Propeller Attack!"  It's cheeky and somewhat in your face. When I spoke with a publisher about it my pitch on the tone of the book was, "If Ricky Gervais could write a book on Propeller programming, that's what this would be."  We've all had enough straight-laced programming books; mine will be something different.  Hoping to have it done by the end of the year.

Well, if it is anything like your BS-2 book then I would be in for a treat.  I found your BS-2 book very easy to work from and I learned quite a bit from it (and of course whatever I learned from you directly here in the forums).

QuoteSooo, then this means that the HC-8 could drive Renard lighting controllers (without a computer)?  THAT would be uber impressive.

As Barrowman likes to say, "It's just SMOP" (a small matter of programming).  With the ability to export Vixen data to a file we can do anything with it -- converting the raw data to Renard would be pretty easy.

I will take that as a "Yes" then.   That IS very impressive.  I am now wondering what else you can do with it.

While it does teach some horrible habits (that my book and looking at my code will break you of), the Propeller Education Kit docs (which get installed with the Propeller Tool and can be accessed via the Help menu) is a good place to start.

Well, I don't want to pick up any bad habits, that is for sure.  But I certainly can download that tool and check things out.

Thank you for the info.

Quote from: bsnut on August 23, 2012, 06:57:40 AM
Yes, I have another while we are waiting for Jon's book to be finished. Its a book called "Programming and Customizing the Multicore Propeller Microcontroller" authored by the friendly folks at Parallax and one of them is Chip Gracey. This book can get you started in the cool world of programming in spin. It also helped me get started in the wonderful world of Propeller programming and made it easier for me to hack (reprogram) the HC-8.   

Yep, I am looking at the book on Amazon right now.  Hey!  Vern Graner is on the list too.  I spoke with him a few times in regards to haunts in the past.  His "Spider's Preyground" was one of the first haunts I came across that used the Prop-2 controller and pretty much that is what got me interested in the controller myself.

The book looks like it has good reviews too.  Ok, I will put the book on my wish list for my next Amazon order.

BTW, would you mind sharing with me what you have done with the HC-8 thusfar?

Thank You

Geo

JonnyMac

August 23, 2012, 09:51:51 PM #10 Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:31:38 AM by JonnyMac
QuoteBTW, would you mind sharing with me what you have done with the HC-8 thusfar?

The HC-8+ has just been released so the public is just getting it in their hands.  These are things I've done recently:

* Wrote a custom DMX slave for controlling four servos and four dimmer channels
   -- customer is a very famous amusement park

* Wrote a custom DMX cue broadcaster that used data exported from VSA
  -- http://www.efx-tek.com/php/smf/index.php?topic=1911.0

* Worked with a customer to create a networked gaming system
  -- used my HFCP (human friendly control protocol) presented in Nuts & Volts

* Controlled and animated 94 RGB LEDs (using WS2801 controllers) for a display project
  -- project build by Steve Wang ("Predator") and his crew
  -- also includes six channels of lightning simulation (running in multiple cogs)
  -- will be able to post pictures of full display next week

* Provided lighting animation for a custom model built by Steve Wang's Biomorphs shop

These projects used the HC-8+.  One must remember, though, that the HC-8+ is just a platform -- and the heart of the platform is the Propeller chip for which I have written 10s of thousands of lines of code (one project last year was 6000+ lines).  I've helped with projects like a camera pan/tilt/dolley controller, a networked HVAC system (that used CAN and MODBUS protocols) and very recently the DEFCON 2012 badge (they asked me to write all of the base objects and help with the main code).

Here's the deal: if the HC-8+ has the hardware that will allow you to connect to your device, I can probably write code to deal with that device.  As Jack points out I took my Vixen player and added a protocol layer to "talk" to Mini-SSC servo controllers.

Hardware:

-- 8 TTL inputs (in only, through a shift register)
-- TTL IO pin (can be used for half-duplex TTL serial)
-- 8 TTL outputs (out only, 10mA each) (tied to HC outputs)
-- 8 high-current outputs (up to 2A each) (tied to TTL outputs)
-- full duplex RS-485 (RX and TX can be independently controlled)
-- bi-color LED
-- 9-bit DMX address switch
-- 4-bit configuration switch
-- option port (if config sw not used)
   * uSD adapter for file storage
   * Nintendo Wii controller interface

All of this on a board the same size as the Prop-2 (that was a deliberate choice).  So... how about coming up with a project and posting it in the hacking forum so I can start showing you how to code this dude?

Some of the standard drivers that we have and will share:

* PWM for LED control
* PWM for motor control
* DMX in and out
* I2C for EEPROM access (non-volative)
* file IO (for uSD -- not written by JM or EFX-TEK)
* advanced servo control with timed ramping
* SIRCS (and other IR protocols) in and out

This stuff works because we can launch a specialty item into its own cog (processor) where it is happily running, doing what we ask it to do.  The standard HC-8+ program running EFX-TEK mode, for example, uses 4 processors:

0: Main program cog
1: Buffered serial receiver cog (configured for half-duplex on TTL IO pin)
2: LED pwm cog (configured for eight output pins)
3: Fade timing controller (for "background" fades and cross-fades)

We do all the things the HC-8+ is capable of doing using only half the available processors and about 33% of the available code space (which also supports DMX and TESTING modes).  The fade timing controller is really cool.  When a fade or cross-fade request is made the start and end values and the fade time are passed to the fade manager. From there the fade manager runs on its own controlling the levels on the selected output channels (via cog 2).  Since this is happening in cog 3, cog 0 is free to process more commands from the user (that were received and buffered by cog 1).  As you can see, this kicks the dog stuffing out of the FC-4 which could only do one fade at a time (the HC-8+ can do eight, the FC-4+ [yes, it's coming] can do four); with the "+" products every channel can be fading simultaneously and independently (i.e., fade speed) of the others.

BTW... that "complicated multi-tasking" I did on the Prop-2 can be done of the Propeller much more easily based on the power of Spin and the ability to maintain loop timing, no matter what path it takes.  That is to say that you don't always have to spawn a new cog for a very simple task. 

Okay, we banged this around enough. Time to post a real (whether you're working on it or not) project idea in the hacking forum so I can show you some code.  We learned to walk and talk by mimicking others -- you can do the same with coding.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

jukingeo

Quote from: JonnyMac on August 23, 2012, 09:51:51 PM

The HC-8+ has just been released so the public is just getting it in their hands.  These are things I've done recently:

* Wrote a custom DMX slave for controlling four servos and four dimmer channels
   -- customer is a very famous amusement park

* Wrote a custom DMX cue broadcaster that used data exported from VSA
  -- http://www.efx-tek.com/php/smf/index.php?topic=1911.0

* Worked with a customer to create a networked gaming system
  -- used my HFCP (human friendly control protocol) presented in Nuts & Volts

* Controlled and animated 94 RGB LEDs (using WS2801 controllers) for a display project
  -- project build by Steve Wang ("Predator") and his crew
  -- also includes six channels of lightning simulation (running in multiple cogs)
  -- will be able to post pictures of full display next week

* Provided lighting animation for a custom model built by Steve Wang's Biomorphs shop

More then half I am interested in already.  I would definitely like to use the HC-8+ for some kind of light synchronization control work.    You mentioned a video gaming system.  A while back you mentioned to me the Hydra system that Parallax sells and it is Propeller based.   Something I certainly would like to purchase as well down the road.

QuoteThese projects used the HC-8+.  One must remember, though, that the HC-8+ is just a platform....

Initially that wasn't clear to me, but when I examined that Prop-1 - HC-8+ demo program I started to get the gist of what you can do with the existing program.  But then the hacking goes beyond that.

All of this on a board the same size as the Prop-2 (that was a deliberate choice).  So... how about coming up with a project and posting it in the hacking forum so I can start showing you how to code this dude?

Ok, Ok, I have had something on my mind that I wanted to do for a long time, but could never find a good easy to use program that would do it.  And yet, being a program I needed a computer.   It is a lofty goal, but I swing it by there.

QuoteSome of the standard drivers that we have and will share:

* PWM for LED control
* PWM for motor control
* DMX in and out

I would have a use for these right off the bat!

This stuff works because we can launch a specialty item into its own cog (processor) where it is happily running, doing what we ask it to do.  The standard HC-8+ program running EFX-TEK mode, for example, uses 4 processors:

0: Main program cog
1: Buffered serial receiver cog (configured for half-duplex on TTL IO pin)
2: LED pwm cog (configured for eight output pins)
3: Fade timing controller (for "background" fades and cross-fades)

We do all the things the HC-8+ is capable of doing using only half the available processors and about 33% of the available code space (which also supports DMX and TESTING modes). 

I did kind of figure out that the HC-8+ (as is) would take much of the load off of a Prop-1 or 2 controller and handle all the light dimming and servo work for you and the HC-8+ has 8 main HC outputs...but I figured that you could control WAY more channels of lighting than that with the Propeller on board.   I didn't know how you would do that up until you mentioned that you could make the board talk to Renard controllers.  Of course that raised an eyebrow on my part.

The fade timing controller is really cool.  When a fade or cross-fade request is made the start and end values and the fade time are passed to the fade manager. From there the fade manager runs on its own controlling the levels on the selected output channels (via cog 2).  Since this is happening in cog 3, cog 0 is free to process more commands from the user (that were received and buffered by cog 1).  As you can see, this kicks the dog stuffing out of the FC-4 which could only do one fade at a time (the HC-8+ can do eight, the FC-4+ [yes, it's coming] can do four); with the "+" products every channel can be fading simultaneously and independently (i.e., fade speed) of the others.

I did get to thinking that the HC-8 was a "high powered FC-4" with 8 channels as opposed to 4.  So things are starting to clear up a bit.

BTW... that "complicated multi-tasking" I did on the Prop-2 can be done of the Propeller much more easily based on the power of Spin and the ability to maintain loop timing, no matter what path it takes.  That is to say that you don't always have to spawn a new cog for a very simple task.

I did kind of gathered that you could have at least 8 simultaneous loops going in the HC-8+ and with the proper external hardware...you could run 8 props with it at the same time, correct?

Okay, we banged this around enough. Time to post a real (whether you're working on it or not) project idea in the hacking forum so I can show you some code.  We learned to walk and talk by mimicking others -- you can do the same with coding.

Ok, I have a couple scenarios I am cooking up.  Time to switch forums.

Oh!  And thank you again for info.

Geo

JonnyMac

August 24, 2012, 07:07:07 PM #12 Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 07:10:23 PM by JonnyMac
QuoteI did kind of gathered that you could have at least 8 simultaneous loops going in the HC-8+ and with the proper external hardware...you could run 8 props with it at the same time, correct?

Maybe. If you're not using other cogs to do things like serial, pwm, servos, etc., then yes.  Each of those processes consumes a cog which takes it away from you.  Let's say you have a board that wants to monitor inputs in for multiple props and have dimmer and servo outputs.  Here's what you would have:

0 : main cog (setup and prop control)
1 : inputs scanner
2 : pwm output
3 : servo output
4 : prop control
5 : prop control
6 : prop control
7 : prop control

So, practically speaking, you could control five independent props with this setup.  Why the inputs scanner?  Because the TTL inputs on the HC-8+ are accessed via a shift register and if two or more prop cogs tried to access this at the same time you would have a conflict.  There is a mechanism for sharing hardware between cogs but it's tricky for some people to grasp. What I prefer is to have an IO processor cog (in my case it scans the inputs and controls the R/G LED so you can have off, red, green, and yellow).

Request a project so we can get away from theory and into real code.  That will be a better way to learn.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

jukingeo

Quote from: JonnyMac on August 24, 2012, 07:07:07 PM

Maybe. If you're not using other cogs to do things like serial, pwm, servos, etc., then yes.  Each of those processes consumes a cog which takes it away from you.  Let's say you have a board that wants to monitor inputs in for multiple props and have dimmer and servo outputs.  Here's what you would have:

0 : main cog (setup and prop control)
1 : inputs scanner
2 : pwm output
3 : servo output
4 : prop control
5 : prop control
6 : prop control
7 : prop control

So, practically speaking, you could control five independent props with this setup.  Why the inputs scanner?  Because the TTL inputs on the HC-8+ are accessed via a shift register and if two or more prop cogs tried to access this at the same time you would have a conflict.  There is a mechanism for sharing hardware between cogs but it's tricky for some people to grasp. What I prefer is to have an IO processor cog (in my case it scans the inputs and controls the R/G LED so you can have off, red, green, and yellow).

Oh, OK, I didn't know that you needed an input scanner.   I was basically speaking off the hip if you had a Prop-1 or 2 controller using the HC-8+ as a slave device.  In a case like that, couldn't you talk directly to the cog you want to control? (Granted I would see this more as a program for the Prop-2 or using the uSD card.

Request a project so we can get away from theory and into real code.  That will be a better way to learn.

Ok.  Since the hypothetical scenario would be with the HC-8+ out of the box, I would post that here, correct?  I also would like to introduce a scenario to see how the HC-8+ could talk to a Renard controller.   As you probably know (but others may not) the Renard controllers will handle all incandescent and LED lighting on/off and dimming control.  The controllers CANNOT be used for inductive loads.

Thanx,

Geo

JonnyMac

August 26, 2012, 02:06:41 PM #14 Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 02:10:12 PM by JonnyMac
QuoteSince the hypothetical scenario would be with the HC-8+ out of the box, I would post that here, correct? 

No, post it in the forum for the master controller (Prop-1 or Prop-2).  The logic is there, and simply sending commands to the HC-8+.

QuoteThe controllers CANNOT be used for inductive loads.

Our AC dimmers are the same.  Controlling inductive AC loads is a very tricky process.  In our FC-4+ prototype we attempted to use triacs designed for vaccuum cleaner motors but found that they would not allow dimming, the would only allow on or off.  We went back to the original triac (same as in the FC-4) and it works beautifully, and has some of the cool things the HC-8+ has (RS-485 IO, TTL serial IO, two aux IO pins, DMX address, config header that supports uSD).  We'll talk more about the FC-4+ when it's ready.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office