May 04, 2024, 11:13:53 AM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

EZ-8 with Vixen

Started by DL, January 19, 2010, 11:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DL

I have an EZ-8 configured and working...through keybanger method.  Now I want to fine tune the programming through Vixen.

I have the computer connected via an EFX-TEK USB-to-Serial Adapter.  The computer recognizes the adapter, drivers, etc without problem or conflict.  It's acknowledged in the computer's device list as an FTDI serial.  Everything appears operational.

From the Vixen 2.5 side, I have the EZ-8 add-in, which also appears and seems to be ready.  However, it thinks the cable is disconnected even though the USB adapter attached to the prop has green light.  From the vixen side it shows grayed out 38400 baud serial (on the matched com #) and I've tried matching the settings in the USB/FTDI setup.  But that didn't help, so I set it back to default.

Any idea why the system thinks the USB cable isn't connected?

I have a 9 pin serial port on the computer but I've tossed all my old serial cables.  I'll acquire another and try it as a true serial.  But I'd like to use the adapter with USB if possible.

JonnyMac

I have verified that you can use the Parallax USB Serial Adapter -- that's the only device we recommend (my partner, JB, designed it when we were at Parallax so we know it works).

Things to check:
  • The mode switch is in position 9 for PC comms.  It may take a couple seconds for Vixen to sync up with the EZ-8

• Make sure you have a blank, 8-channel sequence open to receive your upload.

• If you want to play the sequence through (live) and do key-banging on the computer you need to setup output and input drivers; the output driver needs to be set to the same com port as the adapter.

Again, I just pulled a fresh EZ-8 from the box, banged in a manual sequence, uploaded it, edited it (added a channel so I could verify), downloaded the edited sequence, move the mode switch back to 0 (play) and it worked just fine. 
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

DL

Thanks for the information. 

There were several things I did wrong there.  I didn't know I had to set channel 9.  And I didn't know I had to clear the channels.  After doing both of those things, I've now got a connection.  It's working beautifully.  It obviously knew what it as doing.

I must be missing some available documentation.  I can only find the quickstart guide.  The link on the EZ-8 page still says documentation coming soon.  Is there controller documentation available for the EZ-8?

JonnyMac

You may not be... things were so fast-and-furious after after we introduced the EZ-8 I didn't do any formal write-up on using Vixen -- and now you don't need it!  I'm going to be overhauling all of our docs in the coming months so I'll make sure that gets covered.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

DL

That would be appreciated.  (I'm still clueless on using the w-r-b connections.)

JonnyMac

January 20, 2010, 07:52:22 AM #5 Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 07:53:53 AM by JonnyMac
In the case of the EZ-8 the W-R-B connections may be used for controlling high-current/high-voltage outputs by connecting the the X1-X4 inputs of the RC-4.  See the "sticky" thread at the top of this forum for a diagram.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

DL

I've seen the connectivity diagram to the RC-4.  But I don't know anything about how those connections are controlled or what output comes from them.  Can they be used to do anything other than power the RC-4?  Are they linked in the RC-4 as alternates to the normal channels 1-8?

I guess what I'm asking....can I use 1-8 to power relays and pneumatics, and also use an RC-4 for further access beyond the first 8 channels?  Or just use the connections for something else?

There's audio card sold via Sparkfun.com, called an mp3 Trigger.  I'd like to save the control on 1-8 for my current plans, and find another way to trigger the mp3 audio card.   (Or a cowlacious board.)

JonnyMac

January 20, 2010, 12:46:10 PM #7 Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 12:47:44 PM by JonnyMac
It's called the EZ-8 for a reason: eight outputs, that's it.  ;D

The output from the SX processor is TTL (5v), this is what we get on the W pin of the WRB header and is passed through the ULN2803 to provide high-current outputs on the terminal blocks.  So, sorry, the EZ-8 only has eight channels.  Should we build an EZ-16?....  So far, nobody has asked for it.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

DL

lol...I'm sure there are those who could use an EZ-16,  but I think 8 is an appropriate number.  I just want to learn what's available to me on the board so I'm not missing out on capabilities.