May 04, 2024, 08:34:24 AM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Relay power problem

Started by halstaff, October 03, 2010, 02:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackMan

October 04, 2010, 10:45:06 PM #15 Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 06:40:00 AM by JackMan
Quote from: halstaff on October 04, 2010, 06:54:07 PM
You're right.  I'm still new to this and trying to make sense of it all.  I'm using a OMI-SS-212D, 12V, 5A relay.  The datasheet is at http://relays.tycoelectronics.com/datasheets/OMI-2P.pdf  If I'm reading it correctly, it's 60mA which is within the range noted.
I checked the EZ-8 with a constant on and the relay attached and it read 13V so I'm thinking this is not a problem with the board but with the relay.

You have a DPDT relay which has 8 pins. Are you sure you have it wired correctly? V+ and OUTx from the Prop-1 should be connected to
1 and 5 on the diagram. 3 and 4 or 7 and 8 should be connected to whatever you are trying to activate.
With 1 and 5 on the relay connected to V+ and OUTx you should hear and feel a slight "click" of the relay when the Prop-1 is triggered. If you are still having problems it would be helpful to know exactly how you have the relay connected to your prop.

halstaff

I decided to make one more attempt at getting this working before putting the props that were relying on this away until next year. 
I have this connected as you indicate.  Here is a photo -

I tried the relay suggested in another post regarding using relays with the EZ8.  It is a Radio Shack 275-218.  The specs are as follows -
Max. power - approximately 1.08 watts
Nominal coil voltage: 12VDC
Nominal coil current: 75mA
Coil resistance: 160 ohms +10%
Pull-in voltage: 9.6VDC max.
Dropout voltage: 1.2VDC min.
Contact rating: 10mA at 110VAC or 24VDC
Maximum operating voltage: 250VAC/125VDC
Minimum load: 100ma, 5VDC
I hope you can tell me I made some rookie mistake and this is easily fixed.
Thanks everyone for all the help and I hope you have a great Halloween!
Steve

JonnyMac

Just so we're clear, everything is working now -- right?
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

halstaff

Quote from: JonnyMac on October 18, 2010, 10:29:42 AM
Just so we're clear, everything is working now -- right?

No, unfortunately not.  The relay will not trigger.  Hopefully it's my set up that's faulty.

JonnyMac

According to RadioShack those are in stock at my local stores -- I'll get one and give it a try.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

halstaff

Thanks.  Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

JackMan

Well, its kinda hard to make out exactly whats what in regards to the relay in that photo. It certainly doesn't match the specs that you gave a link to (which is where I got the diagram in my previous post). I have no idea what the pin outs are for the relay in your photo. It appears that you have line voltage connected to a pair of terminals on the relay. If this is the case I'm assuming you have it exposed just for photo purposes, BE VERY CAREFULL WITH THIS! I would suggest disconnecting the line voltage from the relay and use a meter to test for continuity between the N.O. and N.C. contacts and then test again with a 12v battery connected to the coil. I'm still unsure of how many different relays you have tried. One bad relay is certainly possible but if you have tried other relays with the same result then its likely that the problem is elsewhere.

halstaff

Yes, this is a different relay than I had originally used.  It was suggested in another post in regards to using relays with the EZ-8.  I did have my other relay hooked up as you posted and still couldn't get it to work right.

JackMan

You need to check the relay function as I outlined in the last post, no EZ-8, no line voltage. Use a separate power supply and check the N.O. and N.C. contacts. If the relay works then something is wrong with the wiring or the programming.

bsnut

From, what I can see in the photo, it looks like the white wires are hooked up on the wrong contacts on your relay.

What, you need to do is disconnect the wires that you have on the relay and do this test. Take a meter and set it to continuity (ohms) . With the relay off. The goal of this test, is find which contact is Normally Close and Normally Open.

Take one of the leads from your meter and place it on the blade on the bottom row (second from the right in your photo) on the relay, which should be common point of the relay. Now take the other meter lead and touch the blade on the far left (bottom row in photo) . You should see continuity and hear beep sound if your meter is setup that way. This will be the Normally Close contact (blade) on the relay when the relay is off.

Now move that same lead, to the contact next to the one you just touched and you will see nothing on the meter. This will be the Normally Open contact.

Now, for the second part of the test will tell if the relay is working. When you power the relay up, with voltage on the coil, you will see continuity on the meter, when Normally Open contacts are close. And, when you remove voltage from the relay coil, you will see no continuity on the meter.

Remember, most of the relays that are manufactured follow two numbering schemes. These numbering schemes are Ocal and Blade. The relay that you have is a Blade type.
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

halstaff

I've figured out which terminals are the NO and NC but that is not the problem.  The relay will not respond to the input from the EZ-8.  It works fine when connected to a new, fully charged 9V battery.  This relay is an ice cube model so you can see as well as hear the relay engage.  However when hooked up to the EZ-8 and the program is started, there is no response from the relay.  When the program is engaged, I'm only getting about 9.5V to the relay.

bsnut

OK, that is good.

All relays have pick up time around 20ms and drop out time around 10ms. If, you are using Vixen to program the EZ-8, you need to program your event timing above the pick up and drop out times for the relay that you plan to use.

Now, that is covered. I would make sure that you have a good ULN with no pins clipped.

If you are trying to power the whole show with 9v battery or power supply it maybe your problem. I would power your show with a 12vdc @1000mA power supply. The relay that you have should work with 12vdc with no problems.
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

JackMan

QuoteIt works fine when connected to a new, fully charged 9V battery. When the program is engaged, I'm only getting about 9.5V to the relay.

I'm confused with these statements. If the relay works with a 9v battery why won't it work with 9.5v? I don't have an EZ-8 but it doesn't seem right that you are only getting 9.5v out when there's 12v going in. Have you tried an LED in place of the relay to test the EZ-8 program? If it lights an LED when its supposed to then something has got to be wrong with the EZ-8.

halstaff

bsnut

Quote from: halstaff on October 19, 2010, 05:15:17 PM
It does work with an LED.
Where is this LED connected? If it is connected to the TTL output headers, then the LED will work if the LED is size for 5vdc.

William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut