May 04, 2024, 12:33:04 PM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

EZ-8 with RS Safety Toggle Switch

Started by Buzzkill, November 09, 2010, 12:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzkill

I am using the RS safety toggle with the LED light. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062493  If I try to power the LED on the toggle for when you flip the switch, the EZ-8 will not start up.  The power led on the EZ flickers and only be 1/2 as bright with the LED in the switch wired to come on when you flip the switch.  I am using a regular 12 volt wall-wort transformer for power.

JonnyMac

You've shown us what you have, but now how it's connected -- makes a big difference.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JackMan

That switch doesn't appear to have an LED. I can tell you for sure that if the power LED on the EZ-8 is dim, there's something in your circuit drawing way too much power. Disconnect the wiring to that switch and show us how you have everything connected.

bsnut

Jon and Jack are right on the money. I have one question for you.  What are you trying to do with this switch? Tell us in detail, it will help you and others in this forum.
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

BigRez

The RS site doesn't look like the switch has a LED, but comments in the review say that it does.  Sounds like something isn't wired correctly because perhaps the EZ-8 is resetting, OR, the power supply doesn't have enough power to run it.  Is that an EFX-TEK power supply?  what is it rated at?

JackMan

OK, I think I see what might be going on here. When I blew up the photo of the switch I see there's an LED built into the tip of the toggle. There are 3 spade connectors on the switch. I don't have one in front of me but the connections should be labeled POWER, ACC, and GND. If you are simply using this switch as a static addition to your project and you just want the LED to light up when the switch is thrown, you need to have 12v positive to the spade connector marked POWER, and 12v negative to the connector marked GND. If you are connected to the POWER and ACC terminals it is a direct short of your power supply when you flip the switch. This would explain the flickering of the LED on the EZ-8 because the power supply is shutting down.

Buzzkill

I will go with the dead short option mentioned by JackMan.

The switch is "just for show".  You are correct.  The LED is in the tip of the toggle and lights when the switch is turned on.  It is wired in series with a key lock, so you have to turn the key lock and then flip the red cover and flip the switch to activate the prop.  I think I know what I did wrong and will take a closer look tonight.

The project is the racing tree that I posted under projects.  Thanks for the comments!

JackMan

There's a slight contradiction in your last post. If the LED on the switch is just for show, then why do you have to flip the switch to activate the prop? Sounds like your circuit should be wired to all three connections of the switch. If you are using the key switch and the toggle in series to power up the EZ-8 then 12v positive from the power supply should go to the key switch, out of the key switch and then to the POWER connection of the toggle. The ACC connection of the toggle should go to positive supply power on the EZ-8. The GND connection of the toggle should be common with the power supply ground and the EZ-8 ground.

Buzzkill

I'm sorry.  I see what you mean.  By "for show" I meant there is not a legitimate need for a key switch and a safety toggle.  I could have just wired the PS into the EZ-8 and been done with it.

JackMan

Got ya. Hey, it's always more fun to be a little creative with things, nothing wrong with that. Here's a simple diagram of the circuit I was explaining.