May 04, 2024, 09:20:58 AM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Alternative to "bit-banging" for on board programming

Started by nitrous, October 28, 2011, 09:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitrous

Hi  Folks,

Has anyone developed a joystick or pot-based on-board programming method for the EZ-8?
Also, is there any update on when complete documentation will be available for the EZ-8?
I wonder if there is a method for interfacing a serial joystick module for programming.
Thanks
Doug

bsnut

Welcome to the forums Doug.

Sorry, the EZ-8 can't be programmed using a joy stick. The only way the EZ-8 is program is in these two ways.
1) Using your fingger to push the push button to manually enter for the channel you want programmed by using the selector switch next to this pushbutton, which records button pushes.
2) Use Vixen to upload your program to the EZ-8 which was talked about here http://www.efx-tek.com/php/smf/index.php?topic=1665.0

The last updated docs on the EZ-8 are current and goes manual and PC programming.
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

nitrous

Thanks for the reply.
The documentation on this product shows documentation pending.
There appears to be a quick start guideline available but I don't see any documentation on the serial port etc.
It seems hard to believe that this can't interface with a serial input of some kind (other than a full PC).
Hopefully someone from the developement team (or developer) can comment.
Thanks again,
Doug

bsnut

I have a EZ-8 myself. They designed it to operate the way it is mention in the quick start guideline. And, the only ways to program it is what I posted above.
QuoteHopefully someone from the developement team (or developer) can comment.
The team is Jon Williams and John Barrowman which both started EFX-TEK.COM and if you want to connect them you can call there number and provide great support for their products
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

JonnyMac

The starter documentation we have is all that has ever been required.

QuoteIt seems hard to believe that this can't interface with a serial input of some kind (other than a full PC).

Really?  And what would that be?  We built the EZ-8 at the requests of many customers who wanted a less costly, 8-channel bit banger that could be programmed in place or with a PC.  Frankly, I was surprised that we seem to be the only company that offers the ability (via Vixen) to offload a "bit-banged" program into the PC, modify it, and then put it back.  Even the big guys don't do that. 

As ever, we really are interested in input because we're always updating products and with newer, faster, more power processors in our kit we will probably have a new "big banger" in the future.  If your requests make sense from a global customer viewpoint -- and we can afford to do it -- we'll probably accommodate.  You know the saying, "If you build it they will buy it" ;)
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office