May 04, 2024, 12:10:15 PM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

PWM Out Of The ULN 2803 and Vixen

Started by Buzzkill, November 27, 2011, 09:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzkill

Thanks for all the previous thoughts on my project. 

In the previous post I aksed about maximum milliamp ratings on the ULN 2803.  I am driving 400ma of LEDs through 2 outputs at a time for a total of 800ma, but only for a few seconds each time.  That is all working great.  Since I am direct driving the LED's and programing with Vixen, can I assign dimmer/intensity values to the channels in vixen for the channels with the LEDs?  Or is this strictly an on/off control?

Thanks!

Ray

JonnyMac

The EZ-8 is a "bit banger" and can only store on or off states.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JackMan

Quotecan I assign dimmer/intensity values to the channels

Are you looking to fade the LED's or just turn them on at a lower intensity? 

JonnyMac

Again, the EZ-8 has two output intensities: 0% and 100%.  If you use analog values in Vixen they will be converted to digital (you can set the threshold) for the EZ-8.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Buzzkill

Thanks for the replies.  Since this is a cannon, I was going to fade the LEDs at the end.  But as it turns out, the LEDs are not as bright as I had hoped behind the co2 so on/off is fine.  Next year I will up the ante and throw some 1-3 watt LEDs into the mix.  But a scout is thrifty.  So I used what I had, which was a bunch of 8mm straw hat LEDs.

I will post to the project forum section soon.

RD

JackMan

I know the EZ-8 outputs are either on or off but I was going to suggest using any extra available outputs coupled with higher value resistors (paralleled to the existing LED outputs) as an option to dim the LED's. It would not be a fade, just on with less intensity.

JonnyMac

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JackMan

Hey no worries, it's impossible to know what's on everyone's mind!  8)

bsnut

I like your idea Jack, I didn't even think about doing it that way myself.
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut