May 18, 2024, 05:10:38 AM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

EZ-8 / AP-8

Started by gadget-evilusions, April 10, 2009, 09:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gadget-evilusions

What is the easiest way to trigger an AP-8 from an EZ-8. I only need one sound.
Brian
Evilusions LLC
www.evilusions.com for all your pneumatic components

JonnyMac

As the AP-8 uses an active-low signal on the P header to start, I suggest you take a 14" extender (#805-00035) and cut one end and strip the insulation from the white and black wires (red is not used).  Connect the black wire to the GND terminal on the EZ-8 and the white wire to the Ch8 terminal.  Plug the socket end into the Play header on the AP-8. 

Set the AP-8 segment switch to the segment you want to play and when the sound should start in your sequence create a short output on the EZ-8.  Pretty easy!
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

gadget-evilusions

Thank you. I was thinking something similar, but, as always, wanted to double check before I blow something up.  One of our new animatronics will be running this combination at Hauntcon and I didn't want to risk messing something up on my only EZ-8 and one of my last AP-8's.
Brian
Evilusions LLC

JonnyMac

Here's a picture to make things absolutely clear.  If you're using a pigtail between the EZ-8 (V+ and GND) and the AP-8 then you only need the white wire.

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

gadget-evilusions

Jon,

I got it hooked up. Works perfectly. One odd thing though. When the white wire from the "P" header on the AP-8 is connected to any of the outputs on the EZ-8, the led will illuminate, but not trigger the AP-8. Once I program the output to operate, it does play the sound. So it functions perfectly, I just am not sure why the led would be on.
Brian
Evilusions LLC

JonnyMac

That's not a surprise on the Rev A board; the Rev A pcb has the LEDs controlled from the ULN side (Rev B [full production] moves this to the TTL side).  There is a pull-up on the P line so this is providing a little bit of current to light the Ch8 LED.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Bill P

Try your local hobby shop.  Most sell Plastruct products for model making.  There is a 2 pieces of 1/8" x 7" x 12" that lists for $11.95.
I find hobby shops and model train stores to be a good place to find small quanties of plastics, grain of wheat lamps, etc.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Bill P

Posted in the wrong place, should be in the Cowlacious thread.

Sorry,

Bill

gadget-evilusions

Quote from: JonnyMac on April 24, 2009, 07:07:25 PM
That's not a surprise on the Rev A board; the Rev A pcb has the LEDs controlled from the ULN side (Rev B [full production] moves this to the TTL side).  There is a pull-up on the P line so this is providing a little bit of current to light the Ch8 LED.

Thanks for the explanation. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't hooking something up wrong.
Brian
Evilusions LLC