May 15, 2024, 09:04:57 AM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

How many Prop1 controllers can you control with vixen?

Started by clr2cont, October 27, 2007, 12:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clr2cont

Can I connect more than 1 prop1 controller to Vixen? If so how?
I haven't looked into it yet on my own. I just got my 2 prop1's today.

Thanks

Joe ;D

JonnyMac

Just one with the current driver.  Part of the reason for that is the bandwidth required by the communications limits the refresh timing.  If you were using Prop-1s as purely digital outputs (no servo control), then you could have more, but it becomes a bit of a programming exercise that may not be worth the effort.  How many controllers are you thinking?
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

clr2cont

I understand, for the same reason you are ,imited to 3 servos. I was planning on using only 2 prop1s.

JonnyMac

If you want servos in addition to digital outs then the Prop-2 and Vixen driver will handle it. 
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

wilsondk

Could you run more that one from separate serial ports?

JonnyMac

November 15, 2007, 10:48:08 AM #5 Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 10:55:10 AM by JonnyMac
You know, I'm sure... the current Vixen driver expects just seven channels and I don't know that the values can be offset from channel 1; let me check with KC to find out.  What are you wanting to do with the outputs?  Just digital, or a mix of servos and digital (like the current driver).
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

wilsondk

I am going to build 2 servo controlled spot lights.  I need 3 axis servo plus 4 to 5 digital outs.  The problem is the 2 units will be 10 to 20 feet apart. So I was planning to place a prop-2 in each unit and control them via 2 separate serial ports if possible.

JonnyMac

The difficulty with the Prop-1 is the bandwidth due to 2400 baud -- you should probably try to run two independent yet simultaneous sequences (I think you can do that though I've not tried myself).
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JonnyMac

Well, I just called KC and in Vixen 1.11 you can't run two simultaneous sequences (that's coming in v2.0).  Your best bet would be to use the Prop-2 and its Vixen driver, or program the BS1 boards run you sequence via standard code (tricky, but can be done if the sequence is not too long).
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office