May 18, 2024, 09:46:41 PM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

RC-4

Started by ryagl, May 17, 2009, 10:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryagl

I currently have a program that uses 3 ac outlets on the rc-4 a solenoid, fog machine and a light.  I am wanting to add two more lights to this but that leaves me short one ac relay.   Can I wire 2 ac lights on the same relay if I plan on them turning on and off at the same time.  Another words 2 lights would be wired into  lets say K4 on the rc4. 

thank you

ryagl

I forgot to ask another question.  If this is possible to do should I wire them separately  or do I splice one into the other.  These are plain lamp lights.  What I am thinking is that there would be two wires connected to each port of the K4.

ryan

livinlowe

You COULD do it, if the lamps don't pull more amps than the SSR can provide. Also, It's dangerous to do so be VERY careful! I would suggest the best solution would be another RC-4 with one SSR ($40). You could always buy more relays in the future.

If you do go with the two lights one relay method, may I suggest you have both wires inside the green terminal blocks on the RC-4 (if they fit).
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

JonnyMac

So long as the combined wattage of the two lights does not exceed the capacity of the relay you can connect them to the same output of the RC-4.  What size light are you using?
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

ryagl

I will use a 40 watt bulb on each.  Will this be too much.  What is the max that the relay can manage.

Ryan

livinlowe

P=I*E, so I=P/E I=40/120 = 333mA on each bulb, so 2*333 = 666 mA. I think  ;D the math's right. You should be fine. The SSr can handle 3 amps.
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

JonnyMac

The relays can handle 3 amps -- at 120vac that's 360 watts max; you're fine.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office