May 18, 2024, 10:57:50 PM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Faulty PIR sensor

Started by goober, May 24, 2009, 07:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goober

I have a PIR sensor that only works if I'm touching the middle of the board. I've noticed the resistor below the negative input pin has a chunch missing from it. I think it's bad resistor and thats's why it only works when I'm touching it. Is there anyway you could repair it if I send it back? If not could you send me another one or bring one to the June gathering in Provo Utah.
Thanks,
John S.
PO Box 18414
Kearns, ut 84118
Contact me for billing at boiledbones@gmail.com or 801-792-3672
Also when you come to Utah please add a EZ3 kit for me (EZ3, Prop-1, PIR, and a 68" extention cable)
I love the EZ3, it so nice to fine tune a project without playing with the program and redownloading it.

JonnyMac

Please return the sensor to our Knoxville office with your order # so we can process a replacement.

EFX-TEK
214 Norfolk Drive
Knoxville, TN  37922
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

dullom

Hey Jon,

I had some issues with my MIB (Monster in a box) last Halloween. It uses a Prop-1, and and a PIR sensor from Parallax. The prop worked perfectly for about half of the evening, and then it wouldn't sense movement unless you were closer than 10 from it. As the evening went on, you had to get closer and closer to it before it would recognize that someone was there, and start working. It finally wouldn't do anything unless I covered the PIR completely with my hand. Is it possible for the PIR to get condensation inside of the PIR lense from using a fogger in the MIB, and possibly make the PIR malfunction? Thanks, Dave.

JonnyMac

That is a serious possibility -- the lens isn't moisture proof and condensation may have settled on the sensor element, especially on a cold evening.  When you get that prop out you may want to add a protective recess for the sensor so that it doesn't get swamped with fog and other moisture.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

dullom

Thanks Jon. I'll try running the prop again until it starts acting up, then see if switching out the PIR will cure the problem. If it does, I'll dissect the PIR and see if it's got any condesation in it or not. I'll let you know the results as soon as I can find the time to dig it out of the garage. -Dave