May 19, 2024, 12:55:43 AM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

What gauge wire for WickLEDs?

Started by lovemonk, August 27, 2009, 10:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lovemonk

August 27, 2009, 10:05:36 PM Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 10:11:52 PM by lovemonk
Hello, Jon and John (and everyone else there at EFX-Tek).  

I want to keep the wires to my WickLED candles as thin as possible, yet still be safe.  What is the smallest gauge wire you would run the WickLEDs on (running them on the 12v power supply provided in the MegaWick candle kit) for a 2' run, a 5' run and 10' run?  I understand they draw 25mA each.  The thinnest wire I've been able to find is 30 gauge.  Is that too thin?  Can it be thinner?

Thanks,
Lovemonk

JonnyMac

August 28, 2009, 08:18:58 AM #1 Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 11:13:49 AM by JonnyMac
The WickLED comes with about six feet of cable, so let's focus on extending that by 10 feet.  According to the calculator found here:

http://www.cirris.com/testing/resistance/wire.html

... 20 feet (there and back) of #30 has a resistance of about 2.064 volts ohms.  At 25mA the drop through this wire would be about 0.05 volts; I don't think this will be a problem.

Keep in mind, though, that #30 wire is not very strong and one could easily break the wire inside the insulation which can lead to very frustrating trouble-shooting situations.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

livinlowe

I think you wanted 2.064 ohms.  ;D
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

lovemonk

Great news.  The fragility of the wire isn't much of a concern, as it will be inside conduit.  But thanks for the tip!

Thanks!
Lovemonk