May 18, 2024, 10:37:25 PM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

MegaWick kit power supply

Started by lovemonk, August 27, 2009, 10:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lovemonk

Is the power supply for the MegaWick candle kit sufficient to run all 16 WickLEDs?

Thanks,
Lovemonk

BigRez

Perhaps Jon can confirm, but if it's the standard power supply that EFX-TEK provides/sells, then it would be more than fine.

Each WickLED draws 25mA so that's about 400mA and I believe the DC16 draws 50mA so you're well under the 1A provided by the power supply.

And these guys are that good... I'd bet money they computed the numbers and made sure to provide enough power in the kit.  ;)

JonnyMac

As Bigrez points out, the standard 1A power supply is fine, especially since the outputs are flickering and there is only a 1 in 65536 chance that all outputs will be on simultaneously.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

lovemonk

Love the math, Jon!  :)  The only reason I had asked was in the documentation for the 6 pack WickLEDs, it listed the power supply in the accessories at the bottom of the page, and it says it supports 6 WickLEDs.  That confused me, so thought I'd check.

Thanks!
Eric

JonnyMac

It does support six LEDs... and it will handle 16 with no trouble as well.  We routinely have people connect 12 or 16 wicks to the Prop-1; this was part of what drove the MegaWicks project.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

lovemonk

I doubted you guys would make a mistake like that.  :)  Thanks for the info!

Lovemonk