May 19, 2024, 02:18:29 AM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

Flickering 12vdc Full size lightbulbs

Started by gadget-evilusions, January 21, 2010, 10:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gadget-evilusions

In the haunt we are opening this year, I will not be using any 110v through the haunt. I do however like the look of incandescent light bulbs in certain situations, so I found some standard size and base incandescent light bulbs that run on 12vdc. They are however 25watts each. What would be the easiest way of flickering up to 50w 12vdc? I don't necessarily need to be able to fade or hold a specific brightness, but in the future that wouldn't be bad. For right now I just need to be able to turn it on and off quickly to achieve a standard haunted house electricity is shorting out flicker.
Brian
Evilusions LLC
www.evilusions.com for all your pneumatic components

JackMan

Should be easy enough to do with one or multiple relays wired to an EFX-TEK controller. Jon can help you with the code I'm sure.

JonnyMac

You could use a buffer transistor like a TIP120; it can handle 5A up to 60 volts.  I used it to control a car headlight in a friends Halloween display two years ago.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JonnyMac

Here's a circuit that will work with resistive (e.g., incandescent bulbs) and inductive (relays, etc.) loads.  V+ could come from an external supply so long as the ground from the external supply was also connected to the controller (GND terminal).

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

gadget-evilusions

JackMan, I hadn't though of going that simple, but your right that would work.

Jon, Thank you. I had forgotten about that post you made last year. Also thanks for the updated schematic. I know what I have to go make a dozen of now.

Brian
Evilusions LLC
www.evilusions.com for all your pneumatic components

JackMan

January 22, 2010, 05:20:43 AM #5 Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 05:23:04 AM by JackMan
QuoteI don't necessarily need to be able to fade or hold a specific brightness, but in the future that wouldn't be bad.

You should be able to easily get your dimming effect by using DPDT relays and resistors of varied values. Another option is using DPDT relays with multiple power supplies of lower voltages.