May 18, 2024, 07:59:18 PM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

Using an RC-4 on UK/European AC supplies

Started by Bottle, June 29, 2007, 12:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bottle

Howdy

Have recently purchased a Prop-2 and some RC-4s through the European distributor - very pleased with the service, BTW  :)

I'm after a bit of advice regarding connecting a set of RC-4s to UK AC supply (230V, 50Hz). I have purchased the recommended Crydom SSRs with the RC-4s.

Setup is thus: Prop-2 -----> 3x RC-4 in daisy-chain serial configuration

I'm in the process of moving everything into a plastic box ready to connect the AC wiring, and I just wanted to see if any of the other members have any tips or experience with running lights off 230VAC.

Thanks in advance

Ian

"Follow the White Rabbit"
"Hang on to your hat, 'cos Kansas is going bye-bye!"

JonnyMac

The Crydom relays (that we use) are spec'd up to 240 VAC so you should be fine.  Just make sure you don't exceed the current specification on the relay.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Bottle

Jon

OK, I'll give it a go. I'll try it out with some inexpensive Christmas lights I've got hanging around! Is there a minimum load requirement to "hold-on" the SSR's?

BTW, project started over on the Parallax forums; http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=21&m=193343

I'm now building the parts into a plastic box, with the BS2 replaced with a Prop-2 (with a couple of code tweaks); hope to have a few pictures up shortly

Thanks for your help,

Ian S

JonnyMac

They're actually triacs (so they can switch both phases).  You have to check the specs from Crydom (www.crydom.com) for minimum holding current.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Bottle

Jon

OK, thanks for the link.

It looks like the minimum load current is 0.06A ~ 15W @ 230VAC, so I need to run a couple of strings in parallel to get the minimum load current through the SSR. No biggie  :)

Right, off to do some more shopping!!!

Take care, and thanks for the help

Ta, Ian