May 05, 2024, 04:47:30 PM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

Proto PCB DIP switch program selector

Started by gadget-evilusions, October 30, 2010, 12:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gadget-evilusions

I would like to use the Proto PCB and a selector switch, either rotary or DIP, to be able to run different parts of a program. I have done this with a POT before where I would read the range and then run a particular section of a program depending on the reading. If I wanted to do it with a DIP or a rotary switch (something like the ones on the EZ-8 or AP-16) would I need to use an input for every setting? For example if I used a 4 pos DIP (like the one on the AP-8) would I need to use 4 inputs on a prop-1 or can I put different resistors on each one and then read the cumulative resistance to make my selection? Just curious what the easiest way would be.

Thanks for any help.
Brian
Evilusions LLC
www.evilusions.com for all your pneumatic components

bsnut

You have the right idea and this is the way I would do it.

The way, that I am talking about is, to use the Dip switch that you have and tie all pins together on one side (to Prop1 pin) and on the other side of Dip switch pick out the four resistor values you want and tie the resistors together and connect to a cap and take other side of the cap to ground. The side that, is tied together at the Dip switch will go to the Prop1 as a single input, that will be read as a POT instruction, which saves you three pins for something else. This will provided you with four modes on one pin. I did this on my Solar Charger project on the ship that I am restoring using a Prop1 with homemade PCB to do what you are talking about.

Their is a tread that talks about this under the Prop1 forum.
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

bsnut

William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

gadget-evilusions

Thanks. I did not notice that thread. That's what I wanted to do.
Brian
Evilusions LLC
www.evilusions.com for all your pneumatic components

bsnut

I am glad to help, that's what the fourm are for :D.
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut