May 05, 2024, 03:43:40 PM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

PIR Stopped Working

Started by Jadams, December 02, 2010, 07:54:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jadams

I have been using a Parallax PIR for several months to monitor movement in and out of a door.  It is now in a constant 'on' state, the alarm sounds with no movement.  I have tried reloading the program but the issue is the same.  Do they stop working after time?  Access to the PIR is difficult but if I have to replace it, I may use another style.  This application is running 24 hours a day.
Jim Adams

JonnyMac

Jim,

You may want to use a commercial grade PIR.  If you're running 24/7 and the PIR is outdoors then the hobbyist-grade PIR from Parallax might not be the best choice. 

The commercial PIR units I've seen are typically N.C. dry-contact output.  If you change the trigger pin SETUP jumper to UP, remove the ULN influence from that pin, and connect the N.C. contacts between the W and B pins then the code will work as-is.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Jadams

Thanks.  I'll find one and give it a try.  I like the parallax due to the small size, it's almost transparent in my application.
Jim Adams

bsnut

Jim

The commercial one that Jon is talking about is standard motion detector use for security systems.
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

Jadams

Thanks for the tips.  I got a PIR from Visonic that works very well.  It's small and easy to set up.  This might be a good choice for future projects, so far I have had no false triggers, which was a problem with the parallax PIR.  The programing was exactly as Jon described.

Thanks
Jim Adams

bsnut

William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut