May 05, 2024, 10:53:54 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Using the Parallax Wireless Remote (#700-10016)

Started by JonnyMac, October 04, 2013, 01:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyMac

Our friends at Parallax were kind enough to send us a wireless remote set. I've connected it to a Prop-1 and find it works just great -- you can use this with any of our products that have 5v inputs.

Here's the set; it comes with a fob transmitter and a receiver with male header pins (bottom). The fob has a slide cover to prevent accidental button pressing when not in use. The buttons have a nice firm feel.

You'll need to make a simple modification to one of our WRB extender cables. If you look closely at the shell on each end, one side has small windows that hold the locking tab.

You can release the sockets by pressing the tab with a small nail.

Cover the sockets with 1/16" heat-shrink tubing (be sure to shrink!). If you don't have white, red, and black as I do, use clear -- this will prevent problems later (ask me how I know....).

Connect the black socket to the GND pin, the red socket to the VCC pin, and the white pin to the desired output. There are four pins, D1 - D4, that correspond with the buttons marked A - D. There is also a VT that activates when any button is pressed.

Connect the other end of the WRB cable to the trigger input of your controller. I did timing test and found that the device provides about a 500ms pulse, even when the button is pressed very quickly. Again, the buttons are firm and flush with the body of the fob so accidents are not likely. If the debounce of your prop or device (like the AP-16+) is longer that 500ms then you may have to hold the button; the receiver output will stay on as long as you hold the button, and will go off about a half second after release.

TIP: Remember that the IO pins on the Prop-1 and Prop-2 connect to the input side of the ULN. This means you can activate an output (e.g., cylinder, horn, etc) that is not part of the program. For example, you might use button A (output D1) to start your normal program, and button B (output D2) to blast a horn connected to one of the controller outputs.

WARNING: Do not use an ad-hoc pin under remote control in your normal program. We cannot verify the output structure of the remote and driving an IO pin from the program and the remote at the same time could damage either or both. For ad-hoc control, make sure the program defines that pin as an input.

Have fun!

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JonnyMac

When using multiple outputs from the receiver you'll have to make multiple connector cables, though you'll only use the red and black wires from one of them.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office