May 18, 2024, 05:40:54 PM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

Pir Sensor and long cable run

Started by Oper8rAl, January 07, 2008, 12:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oper8rAl

I have a pir and a BS2 that I have working the way I want but when I try to connect the Pir over a long distance 30-40 feet it drops off so I can't read the signal. Is there some way I can boost the signal so it will travel the cable and still give me a TTL high reading when triggered? I am using shielded cable but I'm not sure what I need to add to improve the signal. I looked into op-amps or line drivers but I wasn't sure what would work and thought maybe someone would have some advice to point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Al

JonnyMac

Bigger wire would be a start.  Since that's just a digital output, it only needs to be above 1.5 volts for a BASIC Stamp to see it as a "1."
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Oper8rAl

I was trying to use 24AWG phone wire because that was what I happened to have around. It worked well for short runs but I was afraid I would need larger wire for a longer run. Thanks for the advice. I'm looking forward to the release of your SX-B Book.

Al