May 19, 2024, 01:43:54 AM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Using the ADC 0831 Chip with the Allegro Part # ACS755 Current Sensor

Started by samsam, February 07, 2008, 10:55:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samsam

Hi Every One

I had some time to play with the  Allegro Part # ACS755 Current Sensor and the ADC 0831 Chip

The ACS755 Current Sensor has .600 reading @ 0 Amps with a 30 ADC reading and a .600 volts on the ADC 0831 Chip

What I would like to know is how to have the ADC to read 0 and the volts to read 0 with the offset reading of .600 volts from the Current Sensor

Now i did some testing of the Current Sensor and there is a ADC reading of about 3 and a .061 volt reading

What I want to know is how to take every 3 ADC reading for every Amp from the Current Sensor and maybe show the volts also   

Now I know that i could use a look up table but i do not want to do it this way

I would like to do it with the Basic Stamp Math but up to now i have not used it i have look at it in the help file but i do not understand it well enought to do it here

Has any one used the ACS755 Current Sensor and the ADC 0831 Chip and have working code

I want to Thank any one that can help with this

Sam

I Want  Thank You for All Of Your Time And Help

...............In Helping Getting Thing To Work........

JonnyMac

See chapter 28 of my book, StampWorks, which you can download as a PDF from Parallax.  It goes into detail on using the ADC0831 in various modes, including differential which allows you to add a variable offset input that you can use to null your zero-amps reading.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

samsam

JonnyMac

Thank You For Your Reply

I will try this again and see if I get the offset to work the way that i want it to work
Sam

samsam

February 10, 2008, 03:16:25 PM #3 Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 05:48:51 PM by samsam
Hi Every One

I had some time to play with the  Allegro Part # ACS755 Current Sensor and the ADC 0831 Chip

The ACS755 Current Sensor has .600 reading @ 0 Amps with a 30 ADC reading and a .600 volts on the ADC 0831 Chip

I did get ADC to read 0 with the Current Sensor with the offset which is 30 ADC reading

Now i did some testing of the Current Sensor and there is a ADC reading of about 3 and a .061 volt reading

What I want to know is how to take a 3 ADC reading for every  one Amp from the Current Sensor and show them as AMPS
on the DAC 0831 

Now I know that i could use a look up table but i do not want to do it this way

I would like to do it with the Basic Stamp Math but up to now i have not used it i have look at it in the help file but i do not understand it well enought to do it here

Has any one used the ACS755 Current Sensor and the ADC 0831 Chip and have working code

I want to Thank any one that can help with this

Sam

JonnyMac

Sam,

I'm confused by your question -- others may be too.  Do you want to average three readings together?  If so, you do it like this (note: what follows is psuedo-code, not real code):

avgValue = 0
  FOR idx = 1 TO 3
    GOSUB Take_Reading
    tmpReading = tmpReading / 3
    avgValue = avgValue + tmpReading
  NEXT

This solution may not be perfect, but it does prevent roll-over of values so it's frequently employed in embedded systems.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

samsam

February 10, 2008, 04:29:19 PM #5 Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 05:44:54 PM by samsam
JonnyMac

Thank You for your reply

When using the example from the StampWorks in chapter 28
It shows  3 in the ADC reading to make one amp with the Current Sensor voltage output

With the example it is .019 milvolt for each 1 ADC reading

The Current Sensor is .061 milvolts for each ONE amp that it reads this with a volt meter

Now using the offset the max reading is 224 not 255 as in the example

I want to show 1 amp for every three ADC reading to 50 amps

Current Sensor start with a reading of .600 volts @ 0 AMPS

So with a one Amp on the Current Sensor your reading would be .661 volts

So with 50 amps Amp on the Current Sensor your reading would be  5.00 volts

Sam

JonnyMac

Okay, if you've got the offset nulled and 50 amps will give you a counts reading of 255, the rest is pretty easy.  Using an 8-bit ADC, 5 volts will return 255 counts.  50 amps divided by 255 is 0.196 amps per count.  The ** operator in PBASIC (1 and 2) allows us to multiply by a fractional value, so we can convert 0.196 to a value for ** by multiplying it by 65536, the result is 12,850.   Your counts to amps equation becomes:

amps = counts ** 12850

To test the ** operator on your calculator you first multiply, then divide by 65536.  Let's try it with ADC counts = 128.

128 x 12850 / 65536 = 25

This makes sense, right?  Remember, if you want to run the formula on your Prop-1 or Prop-2, use the ** equation that I show above.

I wrote about math tricks on the Prop-1 and Prop-2 in this thread: http://www.efx-tek.com/php/smf/index.php?topic=49.0
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

samsam

JonnyMac

The way you explained  to me  How to do some of the Basic Stamp helped alot
Like i said in the first post i look at the help files but did not understand all of the examples well enough to get this to work

This makes sense, right?

Using an 8-bit ADC, 5 volts will return 255 counts.  50 amps divided by 255 is 0.196 amps per count.  The ** operator in PBASIC (1 and 2) allows us to multiply by a fractional value, so we can convert 0.196 to a value for ** by multiplying it by 65536, the result is 12,850.   Your counts to amps equation becomes:

amps = counts ** 12850
............ This only gave me 45 amps at full scale     For each amp was a little off  but close

To test the ** operator on your calculator you first multiply, then divide by 65536.

You explain this well enough that i came up with the same answer that you have here

I had to adj for the offset because there is .600 volt @ 0 amps so there is only 225 steps

so i used this

amps = counts ** 14630  which give me at 51 amps at full scale for each amp was almost on it

You gave me  the tools to understand how to do this

I will post the project when i  put both ADC 0831 and the  Current Sensor on the same board

this will be a few weeks ' =========================================================================
'
'   File....... SW21-EX28-ADC0831-Simple.BS2
'   Purpose.... Servo control and positioning with a potentiomenter
'   Author..... (C) 2000 - 2005, Parallax, Inc.
'   E-mail..... support@parallax.com
'   Started....
'   Updated.... 01 SEP 2005
'
'   {$STAMP BS2}
'   {$PBASIC 2.5}
'
' =========================================================================

' -----[ Program Description ]---------------------------------------------
'
' This program deomstrates reading a variable voltage with an ADC0831
' analog-to-digital convertor chip. This program uses a Vref input of
' 5.000 volts (Vdd) for a bit resolution of 19.6 millivolts.
'
' Jon Williams
' EFX-TEK
'
' Okay, IF you've got the offset nulled and 50 amps will give you a counts reading of 255,
' the rest is pretty easy.  Using an 8-bit ADC, 5 volts will RETURn 255 counts.
' 50 amps divided by 255 is 0.196 amps per COUNT.
' The ** operator in PBASIC (1 AND 2) allows us TO multiply by a fractional value,
' so we can convert 0.196 TO a value FOR ** by multiplying it by 65536,
' the result is 12,850.   Your counts TO amps equation becomes:amps = counts ** 12850
'
' To test the ** operator ON your calculator you first multiply, THEN divide by 65536.
' Let's try it with ADC counts = 128. 128 x 12850 / 65536 = 25
' This makes sense, right?  Remember, IF you want TO run the formula ON your Prop-1 OR Prop-2,
' use the ** equation that I show above.

' I wrote about math tricks ON the Prop-1 AND Prop-2 in this thread:
http://www.efx-tek.com/php/smf/index.php?topic=49.0

'--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

' -----[ I/O Definitions ]-------------------------------------------------

CS              PIN     0                       ' chip select (ADC0831.1)
Clock           PIN     1                       ' clock (ADC0831.7)
DataIn          PIN     2                       ' data (ADC0831.6)

' -----[ Constants ]-------------------------------------------------------
' The Current Sensor has an offset voltage of .600
' The Current Sensor has  .061 Volts for each (ONE) Amp that it reads
' The ADC 0831 has 255 steps but because the off set voltage is .600 volts
' The ADC only has 225 steps for 0 to 5.00 volts
' The reading for each amp is a little off but not by much which i can live with
' I can adj the counts # some to make up for this but changes the span a little
' We will see what happen when i hook up the current sensor to the ADC and try to it
' All i have been doing right now is this example in Stamp Works chapter 28
' the second example in that chapter

counts         CON    14630

' -----[ Variables ]-------------------------------------------------------

result          VAR     Byte                    ' result of conversion
Amps            VAR     Byte                    ' millivolts

' -----[ Initialization ]--------------------------------------------------

Reset:
  DEBUG CLS,                                    ' create report screen
        "ADC....  ", CR,
        "Amps...  "

' -----[ Program Code ]----------------------------------------------------

Main:
  DO
    GOSUB Read_0831                             ' read the ADC
     Amps = result ** counts                     ' convert to millivolts

DEBUG HOME,                                 ' report
          CRSRXY, 9, 0, DEC result, CLREOL,
          CRSRXY, 9, 1, DEC Amps DIG 1,
                        " ", DEC1 Amps

PAUSE 100
LOOP

' -----[ Subroutines ]-----------------------------------------------------

Read_0831:
  LOW CS                                        ' enable ADC
  SHIFTIN DataIn, Clock, MSBPOST, [result\9]    ' read ADC
  HIGH CS                                       ' disable ADC
  RETURN
Sam