May 18, 2024, 07:21:47 PM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

PIR mounting location

Started by MrCraigar, October 29, 2008, 11:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrCraigar

Where would be the best location for the PIR in my monster in a box? Front bottom, front top, side?

Thanks - Craig

BigRez

Wouldn't it depend on where your "victims" are coming from?  If they come from a specific side, then I would say that side would be best.  Of course, you'd want to test the trigger so that the timing is just right.

I just created one where the PIR is seperate from the box and mounted in a small container.  I used a small film container, but have a read an the following link for other really good idea.

http://www.scary-terry.com/itw/pirsensor/pirsensor.htm

livinlowe

I have used scary terry's set up. It works really well!
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

gatesofterror

I mounted a PIR inside a box prop 1/2" behind a piece of lexan. There is a small light inside the box so I wraped electric tape around the PIR to block the light and narrow the detection beam. I am having trouble getting the PIR to detect movement through the lexan. I was wondering if anyone has had this issue. This prop will be outside and I was hoping to place the PIR inside away from moisture.

JonnyMac

February 21, 2009, 06:39:51 PM #4 Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 06:42:00 PM by JonnyMac
Patient: It hurts when I do this.
Doctor: Don't do that!

;D

PIR stands for passive infrared -- the lexan may be blocking/absorbing (like sunglasses) some of the IR hence creating the issue.  Remove the lexan, problem solved.  If moister is going to be a problem you could probably find a small box and drill a hole the same size as the PIR dome, then push the PIR dome through this hole leaving the electronics protected.  That said, Scary Terry's PIR-in-a-plastic-tube set-up works nicely.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office