May 18, 2024, 09:31:59 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

RELAY QUESTION!

Started by michilson, November 11, 2008, 09:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michilson

Saw a project where someone was using relays to turn christmas lights on and off.

I looked up the Relays and here's the model numbers

http://www.mcmaster.com/
7266K31

Im not a electronics designer so my background it electrnics is limited.

I see they have 1, 2, 3 circuits
now the question i have is does that mean the Single Feed is switching 3 Contacts (one pre Circuit)

or does that mean the Relay has 3 Seperate Feeds That each have there own Contact?

This may be a stupid question but just would like a better understanding.

I have a feeling that it's 1 feed (12v source) to switch 3 120V circuits if my thinking is correct.

Thanks for the Help Guys!

JonnyMac

That's described as a 5-pin relay.  Two of the pins will be the coil; you'll connect these between V+ and the OUTx terminal controlling the relay.  The other three pins are likely common (you feed hot to this), normally open (hot when relay is on), and normally closed (hot when relay is off).

The five-contact version is called a SPDT (single-pole, double-throw) relay; it has one pole that can go two ways.  The eight-contact version has another [independent] set of contacts (Com, NO, NC) and is called DPDT (double-pole, double-throw).  This schematic shows an SPDT connected to OUT0 and a DPDT relay connected to OUT1.

Now... for the price of one of these relays you can get a Crydom SSR from us.  The cost of the RC-4 board is offset by the cost of relay sockets and wiring inconvenience with mechanical relays.  And, do you really want to hear clack-clack-clickity-clack while running your Christmas lights? -- you will with mechanical relays. 

The alternative is to connect the RC-4 (up to four of them) to Vixen to control your lights and the only thing you'll hear is sweet music.  The RC-4 bonus is that you can play with it right on your desktop without actually connecting lights (the RC-4 has channel indicator LEDs).
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

michilson

This might be a dumb question but has there ever been a thought to develop a smaller version of the RC-4? for those who only need 2 outputs? Your right the relays are deffently a little more expensive option but I only am looking to control maybe 1 or 2 lights per scene RC-4 is alittle over kill for me if the budget was there i'd love to have the extra capability. But with up to 10 controllers planned having 10 RC-4 to only control 1 or 2 lights each seems alittle more than i need.

Can i wire the SSR directly without the board? or maybe even create my own 2 channel board if one doesnt exist? (using the project board kit from like radio shack?

Thanks for your help I appreciate all the help and plan on making Purchases vary soon. (Planning is the key to successful designs)

JonnyMac

I won't bore you with the details as to why, but a 2-channel RC-4 would not cost any less than a 4-channel; in fact, it could be more. 

I know you're young, so forgive me this: when you start valuing your time (and ours) as much as we do, you'll understand that our products and the support that go along with them make them a absolute bargain.  Sure, you can buy components cheaper, but how much time are you going to spend wiring them (time is money), and will those "low-cost" vendors give you the kind of support that we do?...

SSRs can be controlled directly from the Px outputs but you have to know what you're doing -- I'm getting the feeling that you're not quite there yet so please be careful.  I don't want you damaging anything that you might ultimately buy.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

livinlowe

I do own a couple of these RC-4 boards and I agree with Jon. The price CAN look expensive at first, however; the safety the RC-4 provides compared to soldering a regular relay, plus -- and here is the big one -- the support that comes with a EFX-TEK product makes the RC-4 the product of choice; at least for me.

Having said that, you can make just a two channel controller by just buying 2 SSR's, and it will save you $20.00.

FWIW
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

JonnyMac

We just re-posted our RC-4+4 Special -- it kind of negates any argument about pricing... unless one fails to take advantage of it while we still have units in inventory!  There are not many left, so don't hesitate.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

youngti

Thank You Guys'!  I just ordered 4 of them.  But forgot the serial converter...D'oh.   I seem to remember that you have instruction on how to construct one.  Is that correct?

JonnyMac

The schematic is in the Serial Inverter docs

Docs?  Yeah, those are the PDF files we spend a lot of time creating that nobody seems to want to look at!   ;D
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

youngti

November 11, 2008, 02:57:16 PM #8 Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 03:39:25 PM by youngti
I look at them, in fact.....wow, that looks a little more dificult than I thought.  I may need to order one.

JonnyMac

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

livinlowe

I just hooked myself up with one of these specials. You really CANNOT miss this deal!
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

JonnyMac

November 13, 2008, 07:55:10 AM #11 Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 12:57:48 PM by JonnyMac
Only seven five units left as of 7:00 9:30 AM PST this morning.... they're going fast!

Going... going... gone.  The RC-4+4 has left the building.  And no, the won't be back (unless we can swing another huge deal with Crydom -- that's how we were able to do it this last time).
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office