May 18, 2024, 08:53:52 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Switching light strings powered from transformers.

Started by menehune, December 03, 2008, 07:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

menehune

I have several sets of "Grain of Wheat" light strands that I would like to sequence from a Prop1.  It would be nice to have dimming capability but it is not essential. 
The bulbs are low voltage and run from a step down transformer that plugs into the wall. 
I should use a RC-4 instead of a FC-4 since transformers cannot be "dimmed", correct?

JonnyMac

One customer found that the FC-4 worked down to about 35 volts -- can you build strings that want that much voltage and use that as the FC-4 AC power input?

I think the magnetics of the transformer will hose up the phase switched output of the FC-4 and dimming will not be apparent.  But the truth is, I don't know, and I might just have to pop over to All Electronics for a transformer to find out.

Don't wait on my experiment, though, I'm head north for a few days with the other John for mad product planning 2009!
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

menehune

December 04, 2008, 11:00:19 PM #2 Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 11:03:59 PM by menehune
Unfortunately, the lights run off a 24V transformer and I forgot that they have a built-in controller :(  I guess I could chop the supplied controller off and connect all the bulbs in series.  I could then program my own patterns into the lights.