May 16, 2024, 12:39:58 AM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

EZ-8 in the Magic Kingdon

Started by JonnyMac, October 18, 2010, 11:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyMac

For those of you who live or will be in SoCal between now and January 1st, a trip to the Magic Kingdom will be fun and many of the visual treats in seasonal redress of the Haunted Mansion are controlled with EFX-TEK products.

For example, when your car arrives at the dining room you'll smell fresh gingerbread.  There is a Prop-1 that senses the car and controls the scent spritzer.  The gingerbread cake on the table (yes, it's real gingerbread) has an EZ-8 as part of the works that controls the pneumatic movements (see pics).

Other things to look for:
-- pumpkin ornaments on dining room Christmas tree are controlled with Prop-1s
-- glowing eyes in the entry elevators are controlled with Prop-SX/RS-485 module receiving DMX data from show system
-- webs and other "blinky lights" in hallways are controlled by Prop-1s and Prop-2s

We have a great working relationship with the engineering crew at the park.  They are a group of very smart, very nice, extremely hard-working guys (the hours they put in would kill most of us).

I was down about a week before opening, and will head back down to see it all in place after Halloween.  My neighbor, Karmyn (the hot chick in the photo with Chucky), went down last week and said it was fantastic.

If you're in SoCal, do check it out!
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JackMan

Cool stuff but where's the picture of Karmyn?

JonnyMac

This is the pic I was referring to (from an article I wrote for Make magazine a few years ago).

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

bsnut

I can say they work long hours from my experience, working for Six Flags America in Maryland. We had one day off for the whole summer. I wish we had the EZ8 when I work for the park. It would make my job easier, but they weren't around when I worked there.

Is Chuckie, still frying all these years ;D?       
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

JonnyMac

Had you made it to MHC you could have seen him for yourself.  He' get an upgrade with an AP-16+ next season.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

bsnut

If I had made it to MHC I could have seen him for myself. Thanks Jon ;D. I was riding my coasters, as we coaster nerds do. I can't skip the MHC next year, because the Baltimore Streetcar is trying to do Halloween next year.   
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

Jeff Haas

That's a great prop.  I saw it when you had it at the Maker Faire in San Mateo, along with the rest of your booth, and that got me started on all this...

JackMan

Is there a video somewhere of the Chucky Prop? I've never seen it in action and it sounds like it's worth a look.  ;D