May 16, 2024, 06:19:43 AM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Beast in Box (BIB)

Started by JackMan, April 05, 2011, 06:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackMan

Been picking away at this project over the winter and it's close to being done. Here's a pic of the electronics and pneumatic valves mounted to the plexiglass from an old worn out LCD monitor. The boards are a Prop-1, AP-16+, 4 channel rolling code remote, and one of my Audio Servo Controllers. There are 2 cylinders in the crate, one rattles the lid and the other one blasts open the end doors (which no one realizes are there) and also pushes out the Beast at the same time. That cylinder has a 10" stroke which is just enough to get a good look at what is trying to attack you but it doesn't come out too far and make it obvious that it's just a head with no body. It took a little effort to get the door linkage geometry right for one cylinder to operate the whole thing, but once I did it works great. I have the Prop-1 programmed without a trigger so channel 1 of the remote simply connects power to the Prop-1 to start a random SFX file and rattle the lid. Channel 1 of the remote is setup as "latching" and the Prop-1 cancels the latch at the end of the program which also kills the power to the Prop-1 thus making it ready for the next trigger. The "Beast Attack" is another channel on the remote which starts an AUX file on the AP-16+ and also powers up the Audio Servo Controller. I have the jaw of the Beast working as he jumps out and roars. The sound is supplied by a pair of 6x9 triax car speakers mounted into a boxed compartment at the rear of the crate. The AP-16+ powers these awesomely, the sound is unbelievable. I may add 2 more cylinders to rock the crate side to side but haven't decided yet. I'll post more pics and a video when it's done, but here's a look at the controls.

JonnyMac

Nicely done, Jack.  Looking forward to video of the finished prop.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

bsnut

Nicely done as well, Jack. Love the nice wiring job ;).
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

JackMan

Here's a couple more pics showing the crate, the Beast, and the inside. Forgot to mention all power wiring is connected to the AP-16+ so one big power supply plugged into the AP-16+ runs everything. It will also run from a 12V Gel Cell and there will be a 5 gallon compressed air tank inside the crate for complete stand alone operation. The final project will have black cloth just behind the Beast so none of the components will be seen when the doors burst open.

JackMan

OK, here's the video. This clip is 1 of the 3 SFX files that play random. I still haven't decided on adding 2 more cylinders to rock the crate but I'm leaning toward yes.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvmC_T5470g&feature=bf_next&list=ULl1V4rIeKYqc&index=2

Jeff Haas

Looks great!  Yes, rock the crate, and add a bit of chain between the locks on the lid.  It'll sway when the crate rocks.  I've seen it used on other MIBs and it's a good detail.

JackMan

Alright, got a super fantanstic ebay deal on a pair of 2" bore Bimba Flat-1 cylinders so here's the upgraded version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXNDXO_xy6k&feature=bf_next&list=ULl1V4rIeKYqc&index=3

bsnut

April 25, 2011, 02:49:59 PM #7 Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 07:38:39 PM by bsnut
I saw your video and it looks so cool. You did another bang up job and monster even comes out to say hi to you.  
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

JackMan

Thanks Bill, I appreciate the compliment. I think the jaw movement was a nice addition, haven't seen anyone do that on a MIB. The single cylinder for doors and the Beast was another idea of mine.  ;)

HauntedWolf

Very nice work!  Do you have any pictures of the jaw mech without the mask?  I love the animated jaw, really sets this one apart.
Robert

Haunted Wolf Hollow - http://www.hauntedwolfhollow.com

JackMan

Hey thanks. I didn't take any pics of the jaw mech but it's pretty simple. I just hinged 2 pieces of 3/8x3/8 basswood cut to length to fit the inside the mask and glued the lower one to the servo. The servo linkage was connected to the upper piece and the servo is attached to the styrofoam head with an R/C airplane hinge and Velcro. The 3/8 basswood pieces are also held in the mask with Velcro.

JackMan

Just an update here, my wife and I had an absolute BLAST with the BIB this season. I got more good scares than we could count! It's so cool to have the 4 channel remote wired into the controls so I can nail the perfect timing for each scare. Some people you need to get right away if they look like they're gonna move on. Some really get sucked in by the SFX and movement and don't think it's gonna do anything else, and then BAM, the beast is in your face! I have to say, the AP-16+ is a big part of the total effect, the awesome volume and sound quality really puts this prop over the top.  8)

bsnut

I agree after I heard it at the MWHC. AP-16 gives any prop and even the small ones a big blast effect with the sound it produces.
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut