May 05, 2024, 08:29:13 AM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

RC-4 Update

Started by JonnyMac, November 29, 2009, 01:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyMac

A lot of you have been asking about the status of the RC-4.  Well, we're very close and production on the Rev D board is getting started.  Stay tuned to the web site and forums for availability.  While they're in production we thought we'd let you know what we've done.  First, here's the new board:

Yes, it's the same size as the old board but you'll see there are some changes/additions.

Additions:
 -- added power input (2.1mm barrel connector)
 -- added power input pads (for OEMs)
 -- added power switch and local 5v regulator
 -- added power LED
 -- added SX-Key/Blitz header for in-field reprogramming (requires SX-Blitz or SX-Key)

Note that the new RC-4 defaults to using external power; this can be overridden (to get power from the serial line) by cutting a jumper on the bottom of the board.  We recommend using external power (leave board as is) to minimize the load on the Prop-1/2/SX 5v regulator.  You can get power to the new RC-4 using a pigtail.

Improvements:
 -- better isolation between manual headers and processor
 -- bumped clock frequency to 50MHz (gives programmer all the horsepower the SX chip can offer)

Software Improvements:
 -- "R" (relay) command adds toggle option (0 = off, 1 = on, 2 = toggle)

Software Additions:
 -- "P" (pulse) command will pulse (toggle) a given relay output for X timing (X specified in 0.1s units)
 -- "Z" (zip) pulses (toggles) relays in order (forward or reverse) for X timing (X specified in 0.1s units)
 -- "?" randomizes the outputs

We think the additional commands will be especially helpful for Prop-1 programmers that are already contending with a small program space -- by offloading some logic to the RC-4 the Prop-1 program can be smaller.  

Another bit of cool news: When we release the RC-4 we will also release the source code -- you advanced types can modify it to suit your own needs, or "hack" the program to use the RC-4 as a stand-alone device.  Note that we won't be offering a lot of support for stand-alone programming; you need to know what you're doing before you tackle this aspect of the new RC-4.

One final note: We may have located a really nice DC relay for the RC-4 at a great price (those that have gone hunting for compatible DC relays have be hit by serious sticker shock).

Happy Holidays from your friends at EFX-TEK!
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

robomaster-1

I need the datasheet to the original RC-4. I bought one a while back but I can't find the datasheet for it.
Can you send me a PDF of it please. Thank You.
Tim J. Lewis
Magic and Technology

JonnyMac

We have a documentations section where we keep docs for retired products.

-- http://www.efx-tek.com/downloads/rc-4_docs.pdf
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office