May 17, 2024, 02:19:05 AM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

Need assistance with fairly simple prop.

Started by evilmanor, November 10, 2009, 10:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evilmanor

I own a '69 Caddy Hearse and would like build a prop that I can place inside the rear of the car. The prop idea seems to be fairly simple, but I've never used any of efx-tek's products so I'm unsure on what I'll actually need.

Here's the plan:

I want to create a prop that will basically slap a prop hand or head up against the glass when someone looks into or near the car window. As it's already 12v I was considering using a wiper motor.

I would like to use the 12v system in the car for the controller as well to avoid having to purchase an inverter or have the need of an alternate power source.

I'd also like to have multiple ways to trigger the prop by remote (i.e. key-fob) and motion sensor (pir). Being able to arm/disarm the prop remotely would be nice as well.

Any ideas if this is doable and which controller would best meet my needs?

Thanks in advance.
Shane

JonnyMac

You can use the car's 12v supply for the controller, but you'll need a relay to control the wiper motor; it draws far more current than any of our controllers are capable of supplying directly.  There have been several discussions vis-a-vis motor reversing (see the Prop-1 forum) and on member (Jeff) found a relay at All Electronics for under $2 that will take care of forward and reverse control.

PIRs are always tricky, I can't imagine them working well in this applications.  The controller doesn't care, though, as a signal from a PIR looks exactly like the signal from a relay contact output from a key fob receiver.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office