May 05, 2024, 12:35:17 AM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

Cables Made Easy

Started by JonnyMac, March 07, 2018, 02:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyMac

With the abundance of low-cost electronic gadgets available from eBay and Amazon, it make sense to have the materials on hand to make custom cables. Yes, you can buy inexpensive M/M, F/F, and M/F jumpers, but I have found the quality is sometimes iffy.

I now keep my benched stocked with wire kit parts from Pololu. I have found the wires and connectors to be very high quality, and it's always nice to have a neat cable to connect things with.

Have a look at this link:
-- https://www.pololu.com/category/71/wires-with-pre-crimped-terminals

I like the multi-color wire kits (F/F), though I do get black, red, and white wires, too, as those get the most use. I always make sure that I have 2-pin, 3-pin, 4-pin, and 8-pin shells, as those tend to fit the bill with our controllers. If you need longer, custom wires, Pololu sells raw materials. Be sure to get a crimping tool from them; the cost is reasonable and it does a proper job with the crimp pins/sockets.

We have a new controller to show off at Transworld, and I'm having fun connecting displays and things to it using Pololu wiring kits..

FTR... there is no partnership between Pololu and EFX-TEK -- we just like their wire supplies.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

BigRez

Certainly going to add Pololu as one of my sources to check.  I see they also have JST connectors and cables, and that would have come in handy a while ago when I needed to crimp about 30 sets. Got pretty after about 20 of them lol.

Thanks