May 18, 2024, 07:21:41 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Win98 version of the editor?

Started by steveo, August 16, 2007, 09:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveo

John,
My workshop PC is an old Dell P3, XP would kill it. Is there a version of the editor that runs on WIN 98?

I poked around Parallax's site but didn't find anything.

Thanks,

Steve

JonnyMac

Stehve,

You'll have to check with Parallax, but I think their editor will run on Win98.  If not, you could always use the old DOS editor but then you'd need to acquire (or build) the parallel port programming cable.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

steveo

Unfortunately it doesn't run on 98. Is there any way to just write in notepad and download to the prop1?

JonnyMac

August 16, 2007, 10:53:23 AM #3 Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 10:58:15 AM by JonnyMac
No.  The program gets compiled into tokens that are run by the PBASIC interpreter; the tokens (not your source file) are what gets downloaded to the Prop-1. 

If you must use that PC, the you can use the DOS editor -- not the easiest editor to work with, but it does work.  You'll need to build a cable to connect to your parallel port (no serial programming with the DOS editor); here's the schematic:

Note the << mark on the 3-pin [female] connector that aligns with the same mark on the Prop-1.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

steveo

Thank Jon. Time to hack some old parallel port cables :)

samsam

Sam

I Want  Thank You for All Of Your Time And Help

...............In Helping Getting Thing To Work........