May 18, 2024, 12:04:05 AM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

BASIC Stamp

Started by cs1245, August 10, 2010, 11:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cs1245

I was able to download from your website the BASIC Stamp.  I then turned on my Prop-1, which I connected my USB to Serial Port Adapter to the Prop-1 (with the Prop Pot connected to P7 with ULN 2003A) I want to get the correct scale factor for the POT instruction.  When clicking on the RUN menu and going to the POT scaling, I selected POT pin 7 and then hit start and the message I got was - "No serial ports are listed in the Available Ports List.  Please add serial port entries to list."  I then went to the drop down menu named RUN and clicked on IDENTIFY and randomly picked numbers to put in the COM box(ie COM1,2,4,5) and the message came up as "Invalid Port"numbers except for COM3 .  For COM3 the message was "No BASIC Stamp Found".  What am I do wrong? Where do I find the correct COM #. 

BigRez

Are you sure the BS Serial Adapter is connected to the board correctly?  It should have the writing side down when plugged into the prop-1. Also, the prop-1 power switch should be in the first position.

JonnyMac

When you connect the USB-Serial adapter to your computer does Windows detect it (you'll usually here a "ba-bonk" sound)? 

In the Preferences dialog, Editor Operation tab, click on Edit Ports to see a list of ports known by your computer.  In the attached image you can see that my USB-Serial adapter is assigned to COM15.

Finally, on that same Editor Operation tab, make sure that you UNCHECK "Ignore BS1 Modules unless downloading BS1 source code."
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

cs1245

I did hear the ba-dong when the USB was plugged in and made sure the Prop2 switch was on 1.  Also, I went to the EDITOR OPERATION and made sure the "Ignore BS1 ...." was  unchecked and picture you sent didnt look like the one I have on my computer.  The closest thing mine shows is STAMP MODE and PORTS and in this box is Default Com Port with an arrow to the right of it that when I hit it only shows AUTO.  I know we had talked earlier about some USB cables not being compatible/recognized by BASIC Stamp - do you think this is why I am having issues?  I am running Windows XP and when I did the same downloads on another computer loaded with Windows 7 and the same error of No Basic Stamp Found.
One thing of note is on my newer computer  I was directed to download a USB to Serial Driver at a website "Prolific Driver Installer", which when I plug in the USB after restarting my computer it states it is trying to install new drivers and then comes up with an error message of Prolific USB-to-Serial COMM4 failed to install. 

JonnyMac

If it is not a Parallax USB-Serial adapter then yes, I'm sure that's the case.  The BASIC Stamp requires an extra signal that is not in most USB adapters, that's why Parallax designed their own (actually, my partner John B. designed it when were were still there).
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JackMan

Just a shot in the dark here but you do have a power supply connected to the Prop-1 and the power LED is on, right?

cs1245

yes - the LED does come on when the Prop - 1 is plugged in.  Thanks

cs1245

Just so I get the correct cables/connectors for the BASIC Stamp from EFXTEK - I need the USB to Serial Adapter and the USB type A to mini B cable.
Thanks for all your fast responses.

JonnyMac

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office