May 04, 2024, 01:14:12 AM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Propeller

Started by Jadams, June 28, 2011, 06:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jadams

I have been reading more and more on the advantages of the propeller chip (Nuts and Volts Spin Zone).  As I have just started to get comfortable with with Prop 1 codes and thinking about moving to Prop 2 to be able to utilize larger and more complex projects, I am considering getting started with the propeller and spin. 

It appears that you concentrate your support on the products sold through EFX-TEK.  Do you plan to offer the same outstanding support for propeller projects?

I will be more inclined to make the move knowing that there is the same level of support as you have provided with the Prop series. 

Thanks
Jim Adams

bsnut

June 28, 2011, 07:37:26 PM #1 Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:51:45 PM by bsnut
Jim,

Reason why Jon and JB are making products now with the Propeller, is it provides more processing speed and the ability to multitask.

The Prop-1 and Prop-2 (Basic Stamp1 and 2) cannot multitask like the Propeller. One advantage that the Propeller has over the Basic Stamps (Prop1 and 2),is it has 8 processors (8 cogs), which this means that each processor can work independently and this means that the Propeller can multitask (run different programs).
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

JonnyMac

QuoteIt appears that you concentrate your support on the products sold through EFX-TEK.

At the risk of seeming cheeky, we support what we design and sell. 

Please remember that we are not part of Parallax, we are a wholly independent company that happens to use a lot of Parallax goods.  Why wouldn't we? -- we were engineers there and have a great relationship with our friends at Parallax.  They are particularly excited about some of the fun things we're doing with the Propeller chip.

The AP-16+ is our first EFX-TEK branded product that uses the Propeller.  We also used the Propeller in a couple designs for our friends at Ethereal FX.  Up next for us is the HC-8+.  This is a super cool, user-hackable controller (I've talked about it in other threads).  We've gone through the typical growing pains with it.  In fact, I just got home from a Hollywood FX shop (they're using a Prop-1, an AP-16+, and a couple custom Propeller boards I designed for the same shop last years) and found the latest HC-8+ on my doorstep.  I'll double-check it and when my findings agree with JB's, we will roll this dude into production.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office