May 18, 2024, 06:19:59 AM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Flow charts

Started by Caretaker.CCI, March 11, 2008, 07:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caretaker.CCI

Does anybody "flow chart" anymore?

OK... so I'm showing my age here but I have a complicated programming project I have been asked to do and I want to get a handle on this thing before banging-out the code. A flow chart makes a lot sense to me. Does anyone know of a good resource for translating the flow chart into the programming code? I remember seeing one somewhere but I can't find it. More than likely... it's in one of the books that I own.

Thanks

Greg

JonnyMac

March 11, 2008, 08:55:53 AM #1 Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 08:58:47 AM by JonnyMac
I have a white board in my office that I frequently use for flow-charting, especially if I'm writing a sophisticated program for the Prop-SX.  Remember that there are many ways to accomplish the same task, so you might translate a program to working code in a manner that differs from the way I would -- both programs work and that's all that matters.  With experience you'll find what works best in given situations. 

The key?  Write programs all the time.  For yourself, and especially for others.  I was a BASIC language programmer before the introduction of the BASIC Stamp, but I got really good at Stamp programming by solving problems for others.  Luckily, in my position I get to do that every day and that keeps my skills sharp.

Suggestion: When someone posts a programming question here write a solution -- the practice will pay off very quickly.  You don't have to post your program, you can simply compare it to my response to see if you can glean anything for the comparison.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office