May 17, 2024, 11:15:11 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Newbie Questions To the Pro's!!!

Started by michilson, November 03, 2008, 07:27:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michilson

Hi Guys

Let me first say that I'm new to the Haunted House Prop Building and Controls Knowledge so please stick with me.

The first few questions I have are about the Prop 1 & Prop 2 Controllers

Here's a Small list of the props im building and a list of what I need the controllers to do.

Drop Panel – Turn off a Light, Turn on a different light, Open a Valve, Time out, Close Valve, Reverse The lights, and Engage 2 Fog machines (will use relays to run them)

Cemetery Gates – Open Valve, Time, Close Valve, Start MP3 Player.

Cemetery Tomb – Turn on Light, Open/Close Valve Rapidly, Time, Open Same Valve, Turn On Strobe, Open Second Valve, Time, Close Second Valve, Turn Off Strobe, Close First Valve, Turn Off Light

Casket – Open/Close Valve Rapidly, Turn on Light, Turn off light

Air Canons – time, Open Valve

Hallway Doors – Open Valve, Turn on Strobe, Time, Turn off Strobe, Close Valve.

All of the props are operated by Motion Sensors except for Hallway Doors (Infra Red Beam)

Here are the Questions:

1.   Do these controllers run the Programs from a local memory storage or does it need to be connected to the computer.

2.   I think most of my needs will be run from the Prop 2 controllers, with relays running all the lighting needs. I'll be running all the Valves as a 12v system at that point Wired directly to the controllers. Does this sound about right?

3.   I know a little of VBA coding does the Program used to operate the controllers work in a lot of the same ways?

4.   Is there a way to manually trip each controller at its location on the PC board rather than tripping the PIR?

5.   If they do need to be connected to a static PC to run the programs is there a Networking provision so I can have multiple controllers running multiple programs?

For now guys Thanks for the Help, Im looking at several Controllers and need to compare Pricing and functions.

I like the idea that I can program these to do just about anything I would ever need to do!

JonnyMac

Quote1. Do these controllers run the Programs from a local memory storage or does it need to be connected to the computer.

The program runs from local memory (EEPROM) which will stay in place until you download a new program to the controller.

Quote2. I think most of my needs will be run from the Prop 2 controllers, with relays running all the lighting needs. I'll be running all the Valves as a 12v system at that point Wired directly to the controllers. Does this sound about right?

Yes.  If you're switching 120 VAC lights then you might want to checkout our RC-4 relay (SSR) board.

Quote3. I know a little of VBA coding does the Program used to operate the controllers work in a lot of the same ways?

The Prop-1 and Prop-2 are programmed in dialects of BASIC called PBASIC -- some of your VBA experience will help.  What can be tricky when moving from a PC to an embedded controller is the sparse resources (RAM, etc.).

Quote4. Is there a way to manually trip each controller at its location on the PC board rather than tripping the PIR?

You can use any device  (button, mat switch, etc.) but it still must be connected to the controller; there is no built in trigger mechansim as none of the IO pins are predefined.

Quote5. If they do need to be connected to a static PC to run the programs is there a Networking provision so I can have multiple controllers running multiple programs?

As discussed earlier, the controllers run stand-alone after having the program downloaded.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

michilson

Okay, thanks that does answer a few of my questions.

So like the Prop-2 has basically 16 Channels Each channel has (A Trigger input) and a Screw Terminal Output Correct?

And now here's a question?

For the turning lights on and off would you use the RC-4 connected i think to the serial connections or would you use a simple relay wired into a 110V circuit to do this?

At 12 v the Relay circuit will give me more mobile Setup the will be able to drive the lighting at a more remote location than the RC-4.

This lets me use basic Speaker Wire to control the relays mounted in a project box to act as a switch pack for the lighting circuits.

JonnyMac

As you spend more time here in the forums you'll find that we've answered the questions many times, often with programs and circuit diagrams.  Our product documentation goes into details as well.

The Prop-2 has 16 IO points; they can be all inputs, all outputs, or any combination.  Typically, we use one channel for serial IO to accessories, one channel as a trigger input, and the rest of the channels as outputs.  Trigger inputs are connected to the TTL IO headers (male pin headers); outputs may use the TTL pin headers for control signals and low voltage/current devices like LEDs; high current outputs like valves and relays would use the output (OUTx) terminal blocks.  Our controllers use the ULN2803 low-side driver to provide enough current per output channel to drive valves and relays.

Beware of using very small speaker wire; Ohm's Law tells us there is a voltage drop through wire and you want to ensure that the wire you use for connections is large enough to carry the current you're switching without too much loss.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

michilson

Okay i think i under stand the controlers alittle more. I'll have to get one and play with it and see what all i can do with it and ask questions about the programing.

Thanks for all the help!