May 05, 2024, 08:05:02 AM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Renard Protocol Interpreter

Started by JonnyMac, August 27, 2012, 05:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyMac

Many involved in DIY Christmas lighting are familiar with the Renard protocol. This simple protocol uses RS-485 hardware in a non-standard way: each device on the line waits for its own packet (8 bytes) and rebroadcasts everything else to the next device. This means that -- unlike DMX devices -- Renard devices must be capable of receiving and transmitting RS-485.

We knew about this when were designing the HC-8+ so we upgraded the RS-485 interface to full-duplex (RX & TX) capability; this allows us to support Renard and other protocols that need both RX and TX.

Attached is a simple DC lighting controller application that demonstrates interpreting the Renard protocol with the HC-8+.  If you read the protocol specs (link included in code) and compare it to the code you can learn quite a lot.

For desktop testing the code has an option for receiving Renard data via the Prop-Plug on the programming port.  Subsequent boards are connected via the RS-485 terminals (Board A T-/T+ connect to Board B R-/R+).  I programmed two boards with this code; the one close to the computer uses the serial port input. I ran a 16-channel program in Vixen using the original Renard protocol and both board responded perfectly.

Have fun.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

jukingeo

Thanx, Jon

I will take a look at this when I log back into Windows.  I still have to install the Spin program as well.  I know I probably wouldn't know what I am looking at in the beginning LOL!