May 16, 2024, 10:16:19 PM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

AP8 Power supply

Started by davisgraveyard, May 21, 2007, 10:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisgraveyard

I am using an AP8 with a Prop-1 that will be driving some 12v LED's.  Has anyone split a single power supply to power both boards?  Do they make a Power supply Y cable or splitter?  Is this a recommended practice?    I guess I could could cut, splice, solder, and tape up one of my own?

Jeff

JonnyMac

We save dead power supplies to recycle the plug end.  Cut off the barrel connector from a duff supply and connect it between the V+ (center) and GND terminals on the Prop-1, then plug that into the AP-8; with the AP-8 power switch set to the desired level the Prop-1 power switch controls both -- P2 will allow power to the AP-8 when needed.  This photo shows how I did that on the board that runs our "Chuckie Fries" prop.

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Knapsack

So, How many components can we plug into one Efx-Tek power supply? Controller, output expander, relay board, audio player, pir?

Dan

JonnyMac

That depends on how much current each device will ultimately draw from the supply.  You have to add up your output loads and double check that you don't go past the rating of the transformer.  For example, the output expander (DC16) doesn't consume a lot of current by itself, but what you connect to it (relays, solenoids, lamps, etc.) does, and that's what you have to keep track of.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office