May 17, 2024, 12:21:01 AM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Cooling for the AP-16+

Started by JackMan, July 07, 2010, 09:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackMan

Jon,
    Obviously some airflow would be a good thing when using the Amps on the AP-16+, but would it be OK to have it installed in a confined space? I had it running on my workbench (open air) for several minutes on 18 volts and the heat sinks get pretty warm. I'd like to enclose it in a Tupperware container with a few holes punched in the sides.

JonnyMac

We stress tested the AP-16+ in a foam container, at 18v in, full volume for several days -- way beyond what we'd expect in a normal environment.  That said, yes, it's a good idea to ventilate.  If the enclosure will be outdoors (likely) just ensure that any ventilation holes do not allow moisture to drip onto the PCB.  We also recommend mounting any PCB vertically, especially when outdoors.  The vertical orientation will allow excess moisture to run off the board (instead of building up), preventing possible problems. 

A bonus of the AP-16+ running a little warm is that it will drive moisture out of the enclosure.  When I worked in the golf industry we used to put heating tape inside golf controllers to keep the moisture levels down in the fall and winter months.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office