May 16, 2024, 11:26:57 PM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

Stereo Interleaved or Multiple Mono

Started by Traveler, July 23, 2010, 02:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traveler

Hi,

I'm new here. I hope someone can help me with this. . .  I just purchased several AP-16+ units and I have a quick question about the best file format for the best sound quality. In the documentation there is a stated requirement "stereo WAV files (16-bit, PCM, up to 44.1kHz)"  but I see no mention of if the files should be "multiple mono" or "stereo interleaved."? We will really not be using stereo per se, but will have the same audio on each channel. So given that should we use stereo interleaved or multiple mono option

Please advise how you do it?

Thanks

Traveler

JonnyMac

It's a simple stereo file -- both tracks should have the same information (if you're going to connect two speakers).

If you're using the latest version of Audacity you can create a mono track and at the output stage, send it to two -- this will create a stereo file without any effort on your part.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Traveler

Hi JonnyMac,

Sounds simple enough . . . Thanks for the reply.

Traveler

JonnyMac

I've attached a couple screen shots from Audacity (v1.3.11).  As you can see the Project Rate is set to 22050 Hz -- you won't notice any difference in sound quality and this creates smaller files (that can also be sped/pitched up if desired).  This setting needs to be 44100 or lower.

Click on Edit\Preferences, select the Import/Export section, and make sure that Use Custom Mix is selected; this will let you take a mono track and make it stereo on export.

Click on File\Export and select WAV (Microsoft) signed 16-bit PCM.  There are no options for this file type so it will be saved correctly.  When you click Save you'll get the Advance Mixing Options dialog.  Move the channels slider to 2, click on Channel 2 box on the right, then on the source box on the left, a line will appear between them (if the line is not there the channel will be created but will be silent).  Click OK and you're done.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Traveler

Thanks for the additional info JonnyMac. I'll pass it onto the guy that's doing the sound. I'm not sure what software he's using, but I'm sure that clarification will be helpful to him.

Thanks again,

Traveler